• Hopewell Junction depot restoration thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

• 518 posts
  by Bernard Rudberg

We had another good day at the Depot. There were 5 volunteers there most of the day.
The Cable tying the gable ends is in place. Soffit bead boards have been cleaned and ready for installing on South gable. Blocking between studs have been installed in 2 rooms. Will finish blocking next Saturday so we will be ready for electric wiring. In addition, there was a bit more work done to finish the roof ends.

Meanwhile the County has installed a new wooden fence along the rail trail parking lot next to the depot.

Our next work session will be Saturday 4-9-2011 starting about 8:30 AM. Our staff of volunteers seems to be changing since the weather has warmed up. We can use all the help we can get. Stop around and lend a hand. We certainly need it to meet our schedule.

Of course we are still in need of funds to continue the restoration. Send your donations to:

Hopewell Depot Restoration Corp.

P. O. Box 1044

Hopewell Junction

New York, 12533-1044

845-221-9330
  by Bernard Rudberg

Another good day at the Depot, except for a lower turnout of volunteers. We managed to finish all hurricane clips and lag bolts where needed. Worked on blocking in south room. Finished rafters and sheathing on south Jerkenhead roof overhang. Cleaned up rubbish around Depot and pulled out dumping trailer. Set a few stakes to define location of 5' wood deck around Depot.
There was a total of 5 volunteers Saturday.
Plans for next Saturday:
1. Finish all wall blocking so we are ready for electrician.
2. Install 2x8 sub-fascia and 1x10 pine finish fascia on west side overhang and south end jerkenhead roof gable.
3. Install lolly column in basement.
4. Unload lumber from flatbed trailer and load into box trailer.
5. Move all soffit materials to east side of building.

We plan to be there Friday at 9:00 if any others want to work during the week.
The next regular work session will be Saturday 4-16-2011 starting around 8:30 AM.

Of course we are still in need of funds to continue the restoration. Send your donations to:

P. O. Box 1044

Hopewell Junction

New York, 12533-1044

845-221-9330
  by Bernard Rudberg

Saturday morning had a cold wind and later in the day it rained but work continued anyway.

Seven eager beavers showed up and we managed to get a lot done.
All blocking in all rooms is completed, the south gable overhang is ready for fascia trim and bead board soffit to be replaced. The west overhang 2x8 sub-fascia was installed and the 1x10 pine fascia and 1x4 trim was installed.

Next Saturday we will concentrate on soffit work on both the south gable and the west overhang.
Take down the south end staging and set up on north gable end. If we have enough volunteers, we can also unload the lumber from the flatbed trailer into our box trailer.
A heartfelt thanks to you, Celeste and Jackie for keeping the volunteers warm with coffee and goodies.

The next regular work session will be Saturday 4-23-2011.

We are trying to organize a weekday work session for those who would prefer that schedule. Stay tuned for later details.

P. O. Box 1044

Hopewell Junction

New York, 12533-1044

845-221-9330
  by Bernard Rudberg

Well we had another good day Saturday even on a rainy Easter weekend. We had
6 volunteers. We built a 2x4 stud wall in the center section where a 2'8" Dutch
door will be installed on the "agent's office".
Worked on reinforcing corner posts and added blocking, started 1x6 bead board
soffit on west overhang. Cleaned up the south room so the electrician can
start wiring. A 4'x4' section of plywood was installed in basement for
mounting a breaker panel. Also a large section of siding was scraped of old
paint on west side.

This Saturday we will unload the flatbed trailer and put all extra
materials in box trailer. We will need at lease 4 volunteers for this task. We
will also continue working on bead board soffits. Work will be concentrated on
siding, soffits, windows and paint scraping from now on so we can paint
west and south sides by May 15th.

The County has been busy too. There is a new concrete pad with a wooden rail
trail sign holder next to the depot. A new larger parking lot has been added.

The next regular work session will be Saturday 4-30-2011. We need at least four
volunteers for the Saturday work.

We are trying to organize a weekday work session for those who would prefer that
schedule. Stay tuned for later details.

Of course we are still in need of funds to continue the restoration. Send your
donations to:

P. O. Box 1044

Hopewell Junction

New York, 12533-1044

845-221-9330
  by Otto Vondrak

Photos from May 21 work session, provided by Bernie Rudberg.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Defiant

So any there any news on the depot restoration? We haven't seen any updates for a while...
  by Bernard Rudberg

The system had me locked out for a couple weeks. I don't know why. I have managed to get back in after many many tries.

There will be a work party this Wednesday July 13 starting at 8:00.
We will be working on siding battens for the South end of Depot, painting the rail junction on the concrete pad and maybe some painting of siding and/or soffits.
  by Bernard Rudberg

Welcome to Hopewell Depot Restoration Corp.

One of our members has created a Facebook Page about the Hopewell Depot Restoration. Take a look at this URL.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hopewell ... 2071793718
The Hopewell Depot Restoration project also has a new web site.
http://www.hopewelldepot.org
I have been working on local railroad history since I retired from IBM 20 years ago. I have posted several hundred photos and stories about Hudson Valley railroads on a web site. Take a look at the following web site.
http://www.kinglyheirs.com/CNE/
This web site has 23 sections. Just scroll down and select the section you want.
If you have any questions or comments just send me a note.
In addition I did about an hour of video for a Marist College oral history project.
The college web site is:
http://www.albany.edu/~pc171142/
About 6 minutes of my video session is in the "construction" section. Portions of this interview are now recorded for phone access as narration for the Walkway Over the Hudson and also on their web site.
http://www.walkway.org/
A number of photos from my collection are now being used on the interpretive signs on the Walkway.
Since my family background is in railroads in Sweden, I have always been interested in railroads and since I retired I have had time to study more. I am also the former president of a group working to restore our local Hopewell Junction train station into a small museum and educational facility.
I am also one of the organizers for the Central New England Railway Historical Tours. Every spring we tour a section of the old CNE Rwy with two bus loads of railroad fans. I do the navigating and narration for the tour. I have written the guide books for the last eight tours and I am working on the next one for spring 2012. Each book contains around 200 pages of photos and history for that section. Next spring's tour is now in the planning stages and will probably be in the area between Norfolk and Canaan CT.
I found the original record books of the ND&C RR at the Beacon Historical Society. The ND&C RR became part of the CNE Rwy in 1905. There are more than 30,000 pages of original railroad records. I wrote a book based on those records. It is called Twenty Five Years on the ND&C. It still available from the publisher and several local bookstores.
I have also written a book of photos and stories about Hopewell Junction and East Fishkill which we are selling as a fund raiser for the Hopewell Depot Restoration.
If you have any questions or comments just send me a note or call me at 221-9330.
My E-Mail is:
[email protected]
Bernie Rudberg
  by Bernard Rudberg

Saturday 16 July, 2011 The main project for today was painting the south wall. We now have paint on three side of the depot. The weather was perfect for painting. At 4:00 PM we sat down to a volunteer appreciation meal.

The next work sessions will be on Wednesday 20 July and Saturday 23 July. Put on your old painting clothes and join the fun.
  by Bernard Rudberg

Saturday 23 July 2011 Today started out with a little rain but then the sun came out with 100% humidity. The morning was cool but the afternoon was a sauna but work continued anyway.
Our first shipment of new windows arrived this week and we tried one on for size. Meanwhile others were working on the north end of the roof. The depot is now sporting new signs on both ends. There will be one more sign along the edge of the roof on the west wall.
Next work sessions will be Wednesday 7-27 and Saturday 7-30.

Bernie Rudberg
  by Jeff Smith

I hope Mr. Rudberg does not mind if I toot his horn for him. I saw this today. Nice write-up: http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/arti ... t-new-life
The depot, constructed in 1873, used until 1984 and damaged by arson in 1986, stands mostly painted freshly yellow with chocolate brown trim, its roof trusses covered with plywood waiting for a new slate roof.

Rich Taylor, 73, also of East Fishkill, the corporation’s president and a retired contractor, hopes to open part of the building this summer or fall as a visitors center for people who use the adjacent Dutchess Rail Trail.

The organization’s historian, East Fishkill resident Bernard Rudberg, 79, said the rest of the building will open in 2012 as a museum complete with a station master’s office featuring the depot’s original swivel chair and a tap-able telegraph. The museum will also include trunks, a potbellied stove and other items found in such depots, he said.
These were linked previously, I'm sure but I'll do so again:

Here's a web-site: http://hopewelldepot.org/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hopewell ... 2071793718 (and don't forget us: https://www.facebook.com/RailroadNet )
  by Bernard Rudberg

Today’s work was on soffits and windows plus some painting. The weather was hot but with low humidity so it was comfortable working. Of course the Rail Trail was busy including our local police patrol and we made a few new friends and collected some donations. At the end of the day the depot looked good with five new windows installed.
Next work sessions will be Wednesday 3 August and Saturday 6 August.
Bernie Rudberg
  by Bernard Rudberg

The rain held off until after we packed up but the cloudy day was cool for working.

Straps were added to the support piers. Our electrician spent time sorting out the new wiring.
Charlie spent most of the day preparing the sill beams for the new deck around the outside.

Our new T-Shirts supply arrived today. Notice that they are in railroad colors.

Bernie Rudberg
  by Bernard Rudberg

We need more volunteers!

This Saturday we will be working on digging for the 9 pier footings for
the deck. Installing soffit vent and trim and working on repairing north
gable roof.
Wednesday we will set builders tubes, mix and pour concrete pier footings.
Next Saturday we will start framing the 5' deck and continue working on
north gable end.
If windows come in, we will be setting them also.

We need more volunteers!

Don’t forget the Hopewell Depot yard Sale on 20 August.
If you have anything to donate to the sale bring it on 20 August.
No clothing or bedding allowed.
  by Bernard Rudberg

We now have a new stock of Hopewell T-Shirts in the yellow and brown railroad colors. You can buy them at the depot on Saturday and Wednesday mornings or from the Clove Branch Gift shop.
If you are out of town, you can order them by mail. The T-Shirts are $15 each plus $3 shipping. Just send your check to:
P. O. Box 1044
Hopewell Junction, NY
12533-1044
Be sure to specify what size T-Shirt you want and remember to include your snail mail address.
All profits from T-Shirt sales will be used for the depot restoration.
Bernie Rudberg