Railroad Forums 

• Hoosier State Discussion (both Amtrak and Iowa Pacific)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1150866  by sipes23

Tadman wrote:As you can see, the entire route has problems. It's not just a few bottlenecks, it's a broken system. I take the train wherever I can, but I'll drive to Indy every time.
And because of the timing from Chicago to Indy, it requires at least one extra night of hotel. If the Hoosier State arrived in Indy at say 11 AM instead of 11 PM (times approximate), you could catch an afternoon conference session. If it arrived at 8 PM, you'd have to take an extra night, but at least you'd have time to decompress and relax (or maybe that's my late-night can't sleep problem).

But the train's route itself doesn't sound like it's any real prize.
 #1151288  by justalurker66

sipes23 wrote:But the train's route itself doesn't sound like it's any real prize.
It is probably not the worst routing in the nation, but it seems to be trying.
Leaving Chicago (estimated mileage):
Amtrak 1.5mi
Metra SWS 6.26mi
BRC 0.92mi
UP 11.4mi
CN 5.63mi
That gets the train to Munster ...
The next 120 miles is mostly straight south, shifting west through Lafayette.
At Crawfordsville the train finally gets to go east toward Indy, but where Crawfordsville Rd goes into the heart of the city, the train turns South again at Clermont. Then turns East-North East just north of the airport before heading into downtown. Which is actually a fairly good route compared to the Chicago end.

It looks like rebuilding the connection through Speedway would be possible ... but keeping the Indianapolis to Chicago link alive would be the first step. If the state and Amtrak are unwilling to invest to keep the train running I doubt they would invest more to improve service.
 #1151573  by mtuandrew

Convince Indiana to build a commuter rail connection from Speedway to Indianapolis, and offer sufficient Feddybux so Amtrak has permanent trackage rights? It would be useful on race days anyway.

I really am surprised that Amtrak is avoiding a permanent switch to the Illinois Central near Chicago. Perhaps they don't want to give up rights on the current route, for fear the CN route will disappear and Amtrak will be left with no Chicago entry at all?
 #1151668  by justalurker66

mtuandrew wrote:I really am surprised that Amtrak is avoiding a permanent switch to the Illinois Central near Chicago. Perhaps they don't want to give up rights on the current route, for fear the CN route will disappear and Amtrak will be left with no Chicago entry at all?
Once the Grand Crossing connection is built Amtrak on the CN-IC will divert to the NS route and join the east coast trains on the path to Union Station. That will open the door for the Hoosier State and Cardinal to connect CN to CN-IC and take a more direct route into Union Station. That is years away.
 #1151835  by gokeefe

mtuandrew wrote:I really am surprised that Amtrak is avoiding a permanent switch to the Illinois Central near Chicago. Perhaps they don't want to give up rights on the current route, for fear the CN route will disappear and Amtrak will be left with no Chicago entry at all?
That wouldn't be a problem. If they weren't able to negotiate a new route into Chicago Amtrak could petition the STB for access and given that we're talking about existing service it would almost certainly be granted.
 #1152344  by jstolberg

Dyer asked to sit on Amtrak ridership committee
http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... f27b9.html
Dyer has an Amtrak stop at 913 Sheffield Ave. It has been asked to send a delegate to a committee that will look at the issue of declining use of that station, Town Councilman Jeff Dekker said.
Dyer Boardings and Alightings
Year : Passengers
2008 : 2162
2009 : 2324
2010 : 2257
2011 : 2439
2012 : 2756
 #1172412  by ThirdRail7

It's not over yet!

Amtrak's Hoosier Rail may get legislative reprieve
http://www.jconline.com/article/2013040 ... ck_check=1

A few, brief "fair use" quote:

The state budget bill now includes authorization for the Indiana Department of Transportation to carry out an agreement with Amtrak to provide passenger rail service.

“I introduced an amendment ... which authorizes INDOT to spend money out of existing appropriations for passenger rail service with the review of the State Budget Committee, which I am on,” Hershman said.

“I’m not interested in funding a service that is losing money,” Hershman said. “But there is an opportunity to greatly grow this service by creating a friendlier schedule and increasing the frequency of trains.”
 #1172429  by mtuandrew

Why do I get the impression that certain members here are downright gleeful when they find a news story that confirms things they've been hearing for months at 60 Mass? :wink:

Good to hear. I hope Indiana plays hardball, but also that they are truly willing to improve Hoosier State service.
 #1172560  by Tadman

David, what are you getting at? There is no passenger train service in this country that pay for their operating costs AND their costs of capital. All trains have to be funded.
 #1172577  by David Benton

Tadman wrote:David, what are you getting at? There is no passenger train service in this country that pay for their operating costs AND their costs of capital. All trains have to be funded.
Exactly . which makes this statement in the press release nonense .
“I’m not interested in funding a service that is losing money,” Hershman said.
why would they have to fund it if it wasnt losing money ?
 #1218576  by Pacific 2-3-1

Indiana native poet James Whitcomb Riley ("Little Orphant Annie" and "The Raggedy Man") wrote another famous poem with the above title.

Has Amtrak has cobbled together any sort of an agreement with the State of Indiana to continue running the quad-weekly Chicago-Indy HOOSIER STATE, which, over the former (different) New York Central (Big Four) routing via Chicago-Lafayette-Indianapolis-Cincinnati was known as The James Whitcomb Riley?
 #1218621  by afiggatt

According to the most recent reports from late last week, only New York, Illinois, Indiana, and California (San Joaquin and Pacific Surfliners) have not signed agreements. Amtrak is offering temporary extensions while they continue to haggle over terms, so figure NY, IL, and the Surfliner & San Joaquin corridors will be running under temporary agreements if necessary when the October 16 true deadline is hit.

Indiana DOT did not start negotiations until last week, so the outcome for the Hoosier State is uncertain. Amtrak has offered at least 4 options including daily service, capital investments in the corridor. News article from September 28: INDOT study offers Amtrak options.