Railroad Forums 

• Hoosac Tunnel Station sign sold

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#181802  by NellsChoo

A Hoosac Tunnel Station sign was just sold at a local auction. My boyfriend's brother's friend bought it. I just want to share with all of you how much I WANT THAT THING!!!!

(phew)

There... I have shared my feelings... Thank you...

Jonelle
I WANT THAT SIGN!

#182007  by NellsChoo

Well, no... But I hear it was a good auction. BF's BRO bought some nice, rare lanterns, but BF's BRO's friend is an antiques dealer, so I don't think he will hold onto the sign. I think he paid something like $2000 for it. Sooo, I can either buy the sign, or buy some patch panels to help restore my 1974 AMC Javelin! (that's a car, train folk :wink: )

I just hope it ends up in good hands, not overseas or anything.

Wouldn't it be something if the stolen Hoosac plaque showed up??

#182018  by NellsChoo

There were 2 bodystyles for Javelins, mine is the last, and the poor thing needs some work...

But isn't that sign just GREAT?? I guess you have to be into the whole "Hoosac Thing" to really appreciate it... I'm told that the station would have had three of these signs. Was there a standard? Maybe one for each direction of track, and one facing the track, making 3?

#182103  by Steam

That's usually the way it was.

Sometimes the little "lean-to" style stops had only one sign... on the front.

It's amazing how many of these signs were "liberated", and how they've "traveled" since.

#182124  by NellsChoo

You can say that again! Todd and I were sitting at the museum in North Adams, watching a video about the tunnel, and all of a sudden, we realize there is a HILL CROSSING sign staring at us! Pretty sure it is from the station that used to be right down the street from home in Belmont. Moved from one end of the state to the other! :wink:

#182233  by SP 4449

The third Hoosac Tunnel Station sign is at Steamtown in the Museum.

#182326  by NellsChoo

OK, so that locates 2. How about #3? Was that in North Adams and I just didn't notice?

#182898  by sixaxlealcoII

More from that same collection will be selling this spring. Hopefully there will be a few more station signs. Off the top of my head they sold....

Wilton
Hoosac Tunnel
Shawsheen Village
East Ware
Durham
Mount ?
Bartlett

and

Hollis

Pardon any spelling mistakes, I'm not a native New Englander.

MDT

#183289  by uugh

I have some pictures of the station when it was still active if anyone is interested.

http://hoosactunnel.net/east.php#hoosac
Last edited by uugh on Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#183617  by uugh

I'll have the West portal page up later this week. The site as is, is about half done. prolly will be somewhat resembling done in December. Stay Tuned!!

#183645  by NellsChoo

If you want to buy that Hoosac sign, I can get you in touch with the new owner!!!!!!

(wink wink)

#184497  by uugh

hahah, what? Do I look like I'm made of money? :P