Railroad Forums 

• Hoosac Tunnel Discussion & News

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

#1537158  by newpylong

The diversion was the first thing that had to happen. I have been told the entire brick lining section is being converted to shotcrete, hence the longer than expected restoration. The amount of bags in the area seems to support that as the immediate cave in area was shotcreted many weeks ago.
 #1537261  by Safetee

Yesterday evening, an auto carrier unit train departed the Buckland auto carrier storage area heading for East Deerfield. Still quite a few cars remaining in the Buckland facility.
 #1537398  by Plate C

So empty auto racks sitting at ED should indicate the need for an EB auto train...? Or is this their new storage location? I've only caught that train once thus far on the detour, would like to see again if possible.
 #1537402  by jaymac

With Big 3 shutting down production, there's less demand for MT racks, so might as well store them where possible.
 #1537561  by Safetee

I dont know what's going on in the tunnel today, but the way i read it all the work going on there is covered for continuation as "essential" under the Governors program

"Transportation and Logistics
Employees supporting or enabling transportation functions, including dispatchers, maintenance and repair technicians, warehouse workers, truck stop and rest area workers, and workers that maintain and inspect infrastructure (including those that require cross-border travel)"
 #1537574  by PBMcGinnis

The Tunnel work and the railroads in general are also covered as being essential to National Defense.
So the work will continue. I heard they finally hit daylight last week and that the pile of debris to be excavated off the tracks is down to about 8 feet high.
 #1537692  by gokeefe

I'm happy to read that they're making repairs. More than one rail line in New England has never recovered from a blow such as this.