Railroad Forums 

• Homewood

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#295776  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Anyone know what the big bash was at the Homewood Facility this weekend? Lotsa' tents and old power & coaches.
 #295794  by Ken V

CN held its annual Family Day at MacMillan Yard north of Toronto on Saturday Sept 16 where employees are invited to bring their family and friends for a day of rail related fun. I would guess that a similar event was also held at Markham Yard in Homewood.

#295903  by CN_Hogger

Yes, it was CN Family Day.

#296143  by ExEMDLOCOTester

From the looks of it you had quite a bash!!!

#296147  by CN_Hogger

ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:From the looks of it you had quite a bash!!!
Well, I wasn't one of the lucky ones that was able to attend. After working 14+ hours the previous night into that morning, the last thing I wanted to do was be around more trains!!

#296262  by ExEMDLOCOTester

CN_Hogger wrote:Well, I wasn't one of the lucky ones that was able to attend. After working 14+ hours the previous night into that morning, the last thing I wanted to do was be around more trains!!
I can relate to that...
I am over that way about 5 times a week. Do they ever have open house? I would like to step aboard one of the GTW GP-38-2's. I tested many of the 1979 - 80 order. I have noticed the Central Wisconsin SD-45's starting to disappear. They going to the scrap heap???

#298141  by W.E.Coyote

Yes, CN's getting rid of them (scrap). Two dozen or so are still out there.

#298791  by ExEMDLOCOTester

The Wisconsins are being replaced with "BC" units & a slug. I'd go look at them but don't wanna get shot...

#300153  by Tadman

I drove around the Markham yard for a few years, just stick to daylight hours and stay out of Harvey. The side road on the east side is mostly industrial, too, so there's less cause for problem.

#300169  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Tadman wrote:I drove around the Markham yard for a few years, just stick to daylight hours and stay out of Harvey. The side road on the east side is mostly industrial, too, so there's less cause for problem.
That'ed be Ashland Ave. The units are on the south end of the property and accessable from Ashland, between 175th & 176th.

#301660  by EJ&ESDM809

There are now two lines of various BC Rail engines at Homewood. Here is a photo. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=159944. Homewood is a pretty safe area to railfan around, and it is about to get a lot better. The Homewood Railroad Park is coming soon!

#301881  by ExEMDLOCOTester

EJ&ESDM809 wrote:There are now two lines of various BC Rail engines at Homewood. Here is a photo. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=159944. Homewood is a pretty safe area to railfan around, and it is about to get a lot better. The Homewood Railroad Park is coming soon!
I see that you are a morning visitor...

#302450  by 2spot

Can you post the numbers of the RS-18s in the deadline? That would help those of us in BC trying to figure out which locomotives CN is preparing to scrap.