• Home scanner question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Pat Fahey

Hi
I started listening to my scanner again, the current scanner I own is a RELM scanner, I can hear the police and fire call with no problem.
Now as for hearing CSX, or Pan Am, on the old railroad frequencies I don't hear a thing, I have put in the newer frequencies and still hear nothing. I use to hear B&M cobble hill or CSX dispatchers, now I get nothing..
And Yes I do know because of this pandemic, the railroads have cut back on freights, and commuter trains...
So my question to the experts. do I need to upgrade my scanner? if so what do you recommend. any answer will be helpful,, thank you, Pat.
  by neman2

I don't know anything about that scanner or where you are but railroads around New England haven't changed radio technology much. Still normal simplex VHF.
Here's a good source of current frequencies from Scan New England to check out. -- https://www.snewiki.com/wiki/index.php/Railroads
  by New Haven 1

I thought I would second what Pat is saying in that most railroad radio traffic is still VHF analog, so, I would think there is something up with your scanner. Unless you have already, I would start by verifying what frequencies you have programmed into your scanner. Also, sometimes railroads will change usage levels on the frequencies they are licensed for, but this generally doesn't happen.

Personally, I have Ham and GMRS licenses and, I use commercial Motorola radios for those services as well as listen to the railroads you mention and others with no problem whatsoever.

I hope this helps.