Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#295383  by Komachi

If I'm not mistaken, those "spots" are actually lights that they use to illuminate the locomotive during the Christmas holiday season. (Need something a little more sturdy than strings of Christmas lights tacked to the side of the locomotive...)

Anyone wish to concour or contradict?

#295436  by metman499

Got it in one. The whole locomotive is outlined in festively colored lights.

#295467  by ANDY117

In talking to a guy I know at CP< they used christmas lights for a couple years, but by the time the train got to Binghamton, most were broken from hitting trees! Since then, CP has switched to LED cords. It looks pretty good, too.

#306745  by Tadman

whats up with the checkerboard on the doorway? I saw a similar setup on some late-model CP locos from Amtk #3 last night.

#308946  by trainmaster_1

The reflective checkerboard tape is used to notify the crews at night about the height of the door enterance, knowing that a few have banged their heads on the door seems on the way in.