Railroad Forums 

• Hobken Rail Festival

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#32170  by nick11a

Irish Chieftain wrote:
Erik wrote:I would say about 10 minutes after I walked through the ALP-46, I hear some idiot in it, blowing the horn, constently. I hear they imidietly took the guy out of there, and closed off the ALP
I recall that like yesterday. Most likely the chief reason why there's no festivals nowadays.
as I belive there is some sort of horn rule for the Hoboken trainshed, hence why its always cab car first into the shed
"Horn rule"? Cab cars and EMUs have horns too, so any kind of rule involving horns that might exclude a locomotive from the east end of Hoboken could not be centered around horns. Possibly a noise rule? I've seen ALPs on the east end of trains in Hoboken quite often...and rarely (during rush hours) I've seen diesels on the east end too.
Yeah, seen quite a few ALPS on the east end. Saw once a Main Line train on the east as well as a coast line train recently on the east. But usually, with the diesels, they tend to pull it in a respectable distance away from the block. The ALPS though, they bring it all the way in and they can get pretty noisy there.

#32216  by TAMR213

Maybe I was mistaken about a Horn rule at Hoboken, though I did find this:

NJT System Timetable No.6, Special Instructions GO601, effective 12:01 AM Tue. Jan. 1st 2002:

ME 19-1. Horn Signals - Hoboken:
A. Enginers must sound one long sound of the engine wistle or horn when approching on tracks adjacent to and before operating thought the Hoboken Car Wash Facility.
B. It has been the longstanding tradition in Hoboken Terminal to sound the horns of trains in the station to honor T&E employees upon thier retirement. While it is important to pay tribute to our enployees, it is also important to remember that passengers in the terminal may be inconvienienced by this practice. As a result, when an employee is being honored in this manner, only the horns on the west end of equipment may be sounded.

So maybe thats where I got it from...