Railroad Forums 

• (HO) F40PH-2C kitbash begins

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1199569  by Kurt-Trirail

I've been meaning to try one of these out for ages - finally got the opportunity to do so. Most of the following is an aggregation of what I've already posted to the Diesel Detailer:

The goal:
An F40PH-2C, TRCX (Tri-Rail) spec.

The parts guinea pigs:
1 Atlas B40-8 drive (50' between truck centers)
1 set of Atlas Blomberg M truck sideframes
1 set of Atlas wiper contacts to match the Blomberg M's
2 Walthers F40PH shells

Preliminary checks for overall fit brought up the following:
A. The Walthers shell is 31mm wide inside; the Atlas chassis 30mm wide. A perfect opportunity to reinforce the inside of the shell with 0.5mm styrene on each side to strengthen the cut and ensure a snug fit.
B. There is VERY little area on the Atlas chassis to sneak in mounting screws that a screwdriver can get to without risking working around the sideframes or the fuel tank details that will eventually make their way onto the chassis. The factory Walthers mounts turned out not to line up with the front of the B40 chassis either. Some improvisation will be needed here.
C. Ride height from the railhead to the bottom edge of the chassis is almost identical to that of the Walthers unit. No tinkering necessary in this department.
D. The Atlas coupler pocket bracket will need to be cut off the front.

I'm forming the batten strips with Evergreen's #8102 1"x2" (0.28mm X 0.56mm), their narrowest. Matches up with the existing Walthers sides perfectly when tested on my TRCX 811:

The shells arrived yesterday - three from Walthers, and a used one from eBay w/chassis. I put the Metra unit together as a working locomotive with the chassis from AMTK 300; the Coaster will be put aside for future use. Drives me nuts - it looks beautiful; yet, it's the wrong prototype (not to mention the prototype I'm kitbashing to begin with).

The two Amtrak units - the base and the donor. Turns out Walthers improved the paintwork on the F40's somewhere down the road - I recall #300 from the 2000/2001 run, with the improper lettering and slightly toy-like numbering. #242 is apparently later - better lettering and numberboards to boot. Either way, the older scheme is gave me fits with the lettering and striping when stripped in isopropyl alcohol - the new one comes off easier with exception to the red stripe, which is clinging for dear life.

Back end cut off #242:

Good fit!

Paint stripped:

Chopped one of the batten strips off on the LH side along with a cut and shave of the access step. Following is a dry fit of the batten strip. A lot of work for 2-3" scale inches of difference:

The donor's radiator grille was cut out today, and the #242 cut to match. Needs a styrene 2"x2" or 2"x3" (HO scale) shim in between, but the fit is good. I shaved off some of the rear detail for extending the batten strips too.

-Kurt
 #1200070  by Kurt-Trirail

Backshophoss wrote:Are you planning to install a decoder ??
Already has the factory Atlas Master decoder on top of the motor. Motor and decoder aren't present so I don't muck them up while modifying the chassis.
Steve F45 wrote:Nice work so far!! What frame did you use?

Also, this is for some of the NJT modelers, is there a difference in length from this F40 to the NJT F40PH-2CAT?
It is built over an Atlas B40-8. Didn't take that much cutting on the rear coupler pocket mount or the front to make it fit well.

A standard F40PH is 56' 2" in total length, as is the F40PH-2CAT and similar derivatives. Contrary to popular belief, the CAT conversions add no overall length - the conversion process simply repositions the end of the carbody shell at the extreme edge of the anticlimber. A gain of 3 or 4 feet of interior length without a frame stretch.

The F40PHM-2C (EMD, MBTA only - no relation to the PHM-2 of Metra), MPI F40PH-2C's (Caltrain 920-922, Coaster, Tri-Rail 807-809, MBTA), and F40PH-3C (ACE) as built are 8' longer than a standard F40PH, at 64' 2" over the coupler faces. A little bit more wiggle room with the genset installation.

Keep in mind that a few railroads classify their 56' 2" CAT rebuilds as F40PH-2C's as well (Tri-Rail being one of them, with two ex-AMTK F40's rebuilt nearly identical to the NJT units), to add to the confusion.

-Kurt
 #1200722  by Kurt-Trirail

The Athearn (#90722, from the Genesis GP15) 2600 gallon fuel tank arrived today. The four-piece (reduced to three to clear the Atlas chassis) design is not only a perfect fit against the Atlas frame, it is also snug. Had to drill out holes for the motor mount access:

Since the rear truck sits a bit farther forward than the prototype, the tank is a tighter fit than I'd care for. Nevertheless, I should be able to squeeze the Kato battery boxes into place. The boxes have to be cut down in length to match the Tri-Rail F40PH-2C prototypes to begin with, so it's a moot issue.

I love the way the tank hangs off the chassis - very low over the railhead, just like the prototype. No modifications necessary.

-Kurt