• history of NJCL frieght operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by GooStats

Can somone help me out? I vaguely remember during the late 1970's-early 1980's (when I was a young child) of freight trains going through Belmar. Also, I remember freight cars on a siding off Memorial Drive near the Bradley Beach train station up until about 1990. How often did freight run, when did it stop? and how far south did they go? If anybody has any information, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

by JLo

I recall freight cars at a siding just north of PPB station next to what was then Bay Fuel Co. It was pre-NJT though.

by Tri-State Tom

This is strickly from old memories dating back to the early 1960's but here goes -

Going north from Bay Head....

* siding with reverse switch just north of Point Pleasant Beach station on the northbound side - saw a box spotted there in early 1970's.

* siding with reverse switch just north of Manasquan station, northbound side.

* siding with reverse switch just south of Spring Lake station, northbound side. Once served a meat packer(?), building still there. Siding survives today, refurbished, for temp use by NJT MOW forces as needed.

* siding with standard switch just south of Belmar station, southbound side. Once served heating/coal/fuel oil dealer(?), elevated concrete dock supports may still survive. Pre-1965(?), large round fuel storage tank once existed in this general area and used to be visible from Rt. 138 eastbound as you headed in from the GSP by auto. Siding later modified by NJT ( reverse switch installed ? ) and used for MOW forces. Don't know if it survives in 2004.

North of Belmar I'll defer to others....

by JLo

The Manasquan siding served a lumber yard that burned down about 10 years ago.

The Belmar siding served Sterner Fuel and Sterner Lumber. There was an elevated rail platform for unloading. The large fuel tank was a natural gas storage tank. The siding did not go that far.

I don't recall what the building in Spring Lake was that had a siding.

Wasn't there also a siding at Sea Girt at one time that went into the Sea Girt encampment?

by Tri-State Tom

Jlo -

" The large fuel tank was a natural gas storage tank. The siding did not go that far. "

About when did that tank come down and what's on-site there now ?

" Wasn't there also a siding at Sea Girt at one time that went into the Sea Girt encampment? "

Can't recall but seems very logical that there would have been.

A switch/siding heading off to the base might possibly been within the interlockings of the one-time junction with the PRR's 2-track Farmington(?) branch just south of the SG station. The Coast Line was a 4-track ROW thru here at one time.

by JLo

Jlo -

" The large fuel tank was a natural gas storage tank. The siding did not go that far. "

About when did that tank come down and what's on-site there now ?

" Wasn't there also a siding at Sea Girt at one time that went into the Sea Girt encampment? "

Can't recall but seems very logical that there would have been.

A switch/siding heading off to the base might possibly been within the interlockings of the one-time junction with the PRR's 2-track Farmington(?) branch just south of the SG station. The Coast Line was a 4-track ROW thru here at one time.
The tank came down 78, 79, I believe. There are apartments there now, and there used to be a park on the site. A local high school played its soccer games there until someone discovered that the field was contaminated. I don't know the status today.

I vaguely recall tracks coming off the NJCL just south of the Sea Girt station, crossing Sea Girt Avenue, about a half mile before the old line to Farmingdale. I maybe wrong on that.

by OCtrainguy

This is a subject that I wish I knew more of. I know the CNJ had a Red Bank to Bay Head local that ran during the weekdays. My father worked at the Pt. Pleasant Beach Post Office during the late 1970s through the mid 1980s. He remembers an early morning freight passing the post office as he was getting into work. Obviously, at this point it would have been a Conrail local.

I have a Conrail system map from 1983 and it shows that Conrail service ended at Asbury Park. When I had soccer practice at the Pt. Beach VFW field that backed up against the tracks in 1987 & 1988, the only trains I remember were NJT. I am not sure when Conrail ceased freight operations south of Little Silver. If you were to go by the 1983 system map, service south of Asbury Park would've ended then. The Conrail local SA35 served Builders General Supply in Little Silver up until a few years ago.

by GooStats

[quote]The tank came down 78, 79, I believe. There are apartments there now, and there used to be a park on the site. A local high school played its soccer games there until someone discovered that the field was contaminated. I don't know the status today.

Ahhhhhh... the 16th Ave courts. My old pee wee soccer field is now completely blacktopped as a basketball court complex/parking lot.

by JLo

Pee-wee soccer?!!! Damn, I'm old.

by GooStats

well this website showed some old photos of the freight trains in Bradley Beach (scroll down) that I vaguely remembered.

http://www.thebluecomet.com/nylb2.html

by Tri-State Tom

Stats -

TERRIFFIC SITE !!!

Memories, memories and more memories....

Boy do I miss those old signal masts on the NY&LB !

I never saw - or knew about - that FEC Observation car being in service on the NY&LB....AMAZINGLY priceless photos of it !

Several of those old then 2nd-hand coaches running behind the PC E8's and CNJ GP40Ps have been preserved and refurbished by the URHS folks !

by Jtgshu

As a side note, Oceanport draw is still quite active, and is opened frequently in the summer months. That means there are 5 moveable bridges on the coast line, River, Morgan, Oceanport, Shark and Brielle

by GooStats

today 11-6-04, I was in Bradley Beach, and they paved over the siding across Memorial Drive, which let from the NJCL to the warehouse across the street. It seems to be part of the repaving contruction project along Memorial Drive

by BigDell

So.... how much freight, if any, actually DOES move on the NJCL below the Amboys???

BigDell

by NY&LB

BigDell: See the thread: CR on the Southern Secondary, SA 31 comes down the NJCL to Red Bank (and then onto the Southern Secondary) at least twice a week.