Railroad Forums 

• history & anniversary of LA&L

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#771052  by wmnb4thrtl

Does anyone know the history of how, where, when, etc the LA&L was founded or started? Also, does anyone know if there are any celebrations, etc for their anniversary, particularly for railfans/public? Thanks
 #771103  by Lehighton_Man

1964, when Erie Lackawanna disposed of their Rochester line. They started with #20, and #72, along with a steamer or two... cannot remember their numbers.

Since then, from the rotten branch line those tracks were, The LA&L has successfully maintained their infrastructure, and built themselves into a very successful company, now running 132' CWR the length of their system, and adding the BH, and WNYP into their conglomerate.

Thats as much as I know.

Sean
 #771423  by erie2521

On the day of the LA&L's first passenger run, I remember chatting with one of the LA&L officials. As I recall, he said that the EL had left the track in fairly decent shape albeit weedgrown. He said, one of their biggest problems was that the EL had let the tariff schedule lapse and the LA&L had to go through the work of filing a new one. Ted
 #771444  by scottychaos

Lehighton_Man wrote:They started with #20, and #72,
Number 20 arrived 8 years after the LAL began, and Number 72 arrived 14 years after the LAL began..

Early LAL Roster, by year:

1964 - First LAL loco was LAL No. 97, GE 45 Tonner, arrived September 1964, sold to RG&E April 1965.
1964 - GE 44 Tonner No. 10 (for freight)
1965 - Steam locomotive No. 17 (for passenger excursions)
1968 - Steam locomotive No. 38 (for passenger excursions)
1972 - Alco RS1 No. 20
1978 - No. 10 is sold,
1978 - Alco S2 No. 72 arrives.
1981 - Alco C425 No. 425
1995 - Alco C420 No. 420

http://www.lalrr.com/history.html

Scot
Last edited by scottychaos on Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #771490  by TB Diamond

All my reference material remains packed away, but it seems that I read the first LA&L locomotive was a GE 45t that was on the property for a very short period of time as it proved inadequate. This loco was replaced by no. 10 and went to RG&E? Possibly my recollect is flawed.

Can recall the posters advertising the stock sale to capitalize the purchase of the Erie Avon-Lakeville/Livonia in various store windows in both Lakeville and Livonia. Believe that it was $10.00 a share.
 #771610  by VTM

Lehighton_Man wrote:when Erie Lackawanna disposed of their Rochester line. They started with #20, and #72, along with a steamer or two... cannot remember their numbers.

Since then, from the rotten branch line those tracks were,
First LAL locomotive was 97, 45 Ton, was built by General Electric in August 1941, #13057, as General Electric Corp 1. It was sold as Pittsburgh Allegheny & McKee's Rocks 3 and sold as Groveton Paper Co 1. It was sold as LA&L 97 in September 1964 and resold as Rochester Gas & Electric Co no number in April 1965.

Courtesy: http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr0108/gpc1.jpg

EL did not dispose of "their Rochester Line" The EL maintained service into Rochester up until the formation of Conrail. This along with what was purchased by the LAL in 1964 was formerly part of the Erie Rochester Division.

Erie 2521is correct that for other than weeds and brush, the track was in pretty good shape at the time of purchase. The Erie had previously conducted a large tie and surfacing (albeit on cinder ballast) project in 1951 east of Avon. Most all high degree curves (4*) had 6" elevation in them at time of purchase and for several years thereafter as it was reduced during later T&S programs.

I can personally testify to many (timed) 60 mph trips on the McQueen's' and Wheelers Woods tangents with both #17 and #38 on excursion trips. This is the area generally known today as Paper Mill Road.

#20 came to LAL in 1972 and #72 arrived in 1978
 #773116  by Otto Vondrak

wmnb4thrtl wrote:Does anyone know the history of how, where, when, etc the LA&L was founded or started? Also, does anyone know if there are any celebrations, etc for their anniversary, particularly for railfans/public? Thanks
Here's a detailed history from their corporate site.

http://lalrr.com/history.html

-otto-
 #773747  by Lehighton_Man

Thanks all for correcting me. I had a feeling that my facts were incorrect. Thanks for teaching me something that I didn't know.
Sean