Railroad Forums 

• HistoricBridges.org

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1576559  by RailsEast

Greetings all,
If it hadn't been mentioned before, I just found this site documenting bridges of all sorts in all US states and many countries abroad. There are hundreds of RR bridges listed (both in-use and abandoned), so for all you historians out there (most of us), have some fun....

https://historicbridges.org/index.php

Chris
 #1576940  by R&DB

RailsEast wrote:Greetings all,
If it hadn't been mentioned before, I just found this site documenting bridges of all sorts in all US states and many countries abroad. There are hundreds of RR bridges listed (both in-use and abandoned), so for all you historians out there (most of us), have some fun....

Chris
Nice find Chris. They don't have the Coastline bridge over the Raritan.
 #1576953  by Ken W2KB

R&DB wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:53 am
RailsEast wrote:Greetings all,

Chris
Nice find Chris. They don't have the Coastline bridge over the Raritan.

It appears that it accepts outside contributions of photos and descriptions, so someone with a good photograph and knowledge of the bridge could submit same for consideration. " Conditions For Third Party Photographs Submitted To HistoricBridges.org For Display On Website
From time to time, HistoricBridges.org may accept photographs from outside contributors. Photographers who submit photos to HistoricBridges.org for display on the website give HistoricBridges.org permanent and irrevocable permission to display the photo(s) on HistoricBridges.org in accordance with the agreement made at the time the photos are submitted. By default, HistoricBridges.org will consider photos provided to HistoricBridges.org to be the property of the photographer, and all rights to the photo will be retained by the photographer, with the exception that the terms and permission to display the photo on HistoricBridges.org may not be revoked, provided that HistoricBridges.org continues to abide by the initial agreement made when the photo(s) were provided. Anyone wishing to use photos on HistoricBridges.org that were taken by an outside contributor must contact the third party photographer for permission to make use of the photo. By default and unless otherwise noted, any third party photos are and should be assumed to be copyrighted and "All Rights Reserved.""
 #1576954  by R&DB

The reason I called out that bridge is because at it's construction is was the longest swing span in the world at 400f feet.
It has been rebuilt a few times since. The last time in the 60s after being sruck by a ship. It is currently getting prepared for another replacement.
Last edited by R&DB on Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1576970  by eolesen

If people submit a bridge with details, it gets listed.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk