Railroad Forums 

• historic railway carriage turns up as garden shed on "E

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#504425  by David Benton

well , nz's version of ebay .
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... ermanent=0
This carriage dates from the 1870's , and was some of the first passenger carriages used in New Zealand .
While i am very tempted to bid , its at the other end of the country .
Hopefully it will end up in rail preservation hands . It seems that it has now got the attention of some in the preservation movement .

#504701  by David Benton

well , its been withdrawn by the auction sites admin . this could be becasue they think there may be some sort of protection covering the carriage . I thought this would only apply to buildings , but perhaps theyre thinking of it as a histoirc shed , rather than a historic carriage .
hopefully it ends up in the preservation movements hands .

#504702  by David Benton

well , its been withdrawn by the auction sites admin . this could be becasue they think there may be some sort of protection covering the carriage . I thought this would only apply to buildings , but perhaps theyre thinking of it as a histoirc shed , rather than a historic carriage .
hopefully it ends up in the preservation movements hands .

#504843  by george matthews

There are plenty of carriages like that running on preserved lines. There are some in South Africa that were hotels, restaurants and homes - I learn from a video I bought the other day about Rovos rail.

#504909  by David Benton

I've got that dvd on rovos rail as well . They look to be from the 1830 and younger era . This one dates from 1870 . By Nz standards thats very old .

#505004  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:I've got that dvd on rovos rail as well . They look to be from the 1930 and younger era . This one dates from 1870 . By Nz standards thats very old .
I don't like the tone of that Rovos rail video. It's very sneaky. At one point they go on about the preserved steam Voss is interested in, but fail to mention that the Luxury train is actually pulled by electric and diesel. All the shots of the train carefully omit the locos. Only the train from George shows the steam. (I once stayed a night in George but wasn't interested in the narrow gauge line which I seem to remember vaguely while waiting for a lift.) Also I found the oily commentary nauseating. When I bought the tape off a bric-a brac stall at Swanage railway I didn't realise that it was an ad for the train biz.