Railroad Forums 

• Hillside NJ in the 1970's

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#255506  by msernak

When I was a kid I sometimes went with my father to work in Newark NJ. We lived in Union NJ. We would take Route 22 East and would always see a red LV switcher on the right next to 22. I believe this is where the Hillside freight station used to be. ANyone know why this engine was always there. Perhaps it was parked for the Hillside Irvington branch? I cannot remember if it was a pup or an Alco.
 #260089  by RAHWAY VALLEY

Lehigh Valley would freqently keep a switcher in Hillside to service the Irvington Branch. This locomotive was frequently an EMD SW8. During LV years business on the branch was brisk, with covered hopper cars of barley being moved to the small yard at the end of the line. This barley transferred to trucks for movement to the nearby Pabst Brewery in nearby Newark. Conrail Shared Assets still operates on the Irvington Branch, although the locomotive is now kept at Parkview Yard in Newark. This train, now known as OI-10, frequently rates a NS or CSXT GP38-2 or GP40-2. Main customer on the line is Oasis Food Products, receiving tank cars of corn oil.