Railroad Forums 

• Hicksville operations

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1104101  by freightguy

Not likely, last time a generator was put in there around 2000. Check the link for Hurricane Sandy and BRT. There is talk of moving materials to Brookhaven. Poles used to go to PW Team track in Farmingdale before coastal started operations
 #1127767  by freightguy

I think the market for waste paper like scrap metal is more international now. If you see the shipping containers coming out of there that is probably why. You don't see 15 cars a day coming out of Gershow either anymore as the ferrous metals move out in containers now also.
 #1181254  by Teutobergerwald

There was a long cut of dark red BNSF (and a couple of ATSF) covered hoppers on the yard's eastern-side track and two cuts of tankcars on the center and western-side tracks this past Saturday afternoon. No other rolling stock or power in the yard, and I noticed the old caboose that had been spotted at the end of the eastern track for years is gone. Long cut of LIRR gondolas is parked on the spur that parallels the main line east of the yard to the post office.
 #1265184  by rb

I flew over Hicksville yard in a friend's small plane this weekend and observed the yard full of tank cars. There were standard, black, single-dome tank cars surrounded by kitchen grease collection trucks. So maybe that's getting shipped out for biodiesel refining?

There was also a cut of stranger tank cars, including a three-dome, a four-dome, and a short gray one. Any idea what those are bringing in?

I will post photos when I have access to them.
 #1265227  by Sir Ray

rb wrote:There was also a cut of stranger tank cars, including a three-dome, a four-dome, and a short gray one.
Were there really 3 (and 4!) dome tank cars there? I thought those were relegated to museums, MOW, or perhaps HazMat training services - such tank cars in revenue service must be pretty rare (although this page mentions one such service)
 #1266265  by rb

OK, here is an aerial photo of the yard: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rbtransport/14018984776/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have since learned that the two tracks on the right (west) are Grease Lightning. They refine kitchen grease and ship it out to be made into biodiesel. See their site, yourwasteourfuel.com.

So what is happening on the easternmost track? There were 5 different kinds of tank car there last weekend, and four of those types are pretty rare on LI!
 #1285984  by Teutobergerwald

Any customers getting served at Hicksville besides the bio-diesel customer now? Any boxcar, reefer, covered hopper or flatcar traffic there? Thanks.
 #1387690  by Teutobergerwald

Anything new at Hicksville Yard? Will the new third-track project affect NYA's use of the yard in anyway?