Railroad Forums 

• Hicksville operations

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#407218  by Spartan Phalanx

A lot of covered hoppers in the Hicksville Yard today, and a single bathtub gondola.

I saw that the switch at the former site of Ruco Polymer is still in place, and it looks as though no removal of contaminated soil has taken place yet.

#447582  by Spartan Phalanx

Same cuts of covered hoppers in Hicksville Yard as the last time I passed by. No other types of rolling stock, other than the old red caboose, in the yard, and no locomotives laying over.

#447918  by hrfcarl

Passing that area almost 2xs daily, I think those covered hoppers were moved from one track to the other in the yard (east to west side). I have also seen a truck next to them at various times. What are they suppose to be carring?

#449748  by Spartan Phalanx

I believe these covered hoppers are loaded with plastic pellets for an off-line PVC fencing manufacturer. They send trucks to unload pellets as needed.
 #450533  by freightguy

What town is this fence post maker located in? I used to see alot of trucks carrying that material out by my house at 7-11. It was after work so I was always tired but got food and 2 papers. They also carry LI Advance once a week. Are the covered hoppers going to move East like bentonite cars at YA team. Bad for you health unlike plastic :(

#450644  by Spartan Phalanx

I believe the customer and it's location is mentioned earlier in this topic. Jericho, perhaps?

Bentonite is a haz-mat?
 #450785  by freightguy

Bentonite isn't classified as a hazardous material, but it is bad for your health. My old boss told me they used it to fill in bottom of Twin Tower buildings. Supposedly it is really bad for your lungs if inhaled. I am not a doctor so please do not accept this as fact. I will like more into this in the future!
 #451013  by freightguy

Sorry Spartan, just trying to help get trucks off the road! You should help assist int this also. I do not work for a railroad and a proponent of both NYAR and LIRR :wink:

#451039  by pennsy

Hi All,

It is fairly common to ship plastic pellets via covered hopper to "marshalling yards" where they are kept until needed. Then the individual car or cars are transported to a company's freight yard where the pellets are fed to the molding machines of the company to produce their products. The pellets are normally thermoplastic polymers such as Polystyrene, Polypropylene, vinyls etc. Various fillers, such as the Bentonite are also treated the same way. That is, the molder will take the plastic pellets and formulate them with other ingredients, such as the Bentonite, to produce a suitable compound (s) for their product lines.

#451163  by Spartan Phalanx

Freightguy:
No offense taken, or given! What I meant was that someone, I believe the NYA's own Jay, gave more information about the off-line plastics customer on either the first or second page of this particular topic. I should've went back and looked. Take care trackside!

#461016  by Spartan Phalanx

Yesterday I had occasion to check out Hicksville Yard with my son. There was nothing going on, just the cuts of covered hoppers that have been there for sometime and a pair of boxcars spotted over by the building materials area. Anyway, with regard to those boxcars, in particular, the ATW one, a heads-up to the crew that goes to pick it up when it's ready to go. Right where the conductor would stand to couple the car up, there is a pile of what appears to be human waste, right on the track. My son saw it first and pointed it out to me. I was at a loss to explain why that would be there, but there it was. Obviously you don't want to pick that up on your boot and bring it into the locomotive.

#462617  by Spartan Phalanx

I guess nobody has stepped in that pile of $hyte yet by the ATW boxcar.....

#462652  by RPM2Night

Spartan Phalanx wrote:Obviously you don't want to pick that up on your boot and bring it into the locomotive.
Especially if you rest your foot up on the heater and leave a little bit behind. With it getting cooler at night and the heaters going, that stuff cooking on them would smell pretty awful. lol.

#462948  by Scrap em Again

You aint kidding!!!. My conductor once cooked a pile of $hit on a cab heater. It is enough to make you vomit.

#463065  by RPM2Night

Those heaters come in handy for heating up left overs while you're out on the road though...as long as the left overs are wrapped in foil lol.