Railroad Forums 

• HHP-8 cost to purchase and availability

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#325215  by mikeydc03

I am just wondering the cost of the HHP-8's, and does anyone know if they are still availble to purchase from Bombardier? How are they preforming? Pretty reliable or not?

#325218  by Gilbert B Norman

If, considering that two of the fifteen locomotives have been "stored unservicable', such would suggest they are "not exactly' reliable. One of the stored locomotives, #663, is the apparent subject of a warranty dispute. The other, #664?; who knows why.

Acquiring a passenger electric locomotive is not exactly a case of walking into the showroom, kicking a tire, listening to the salesman's "straight talk", and striking a deal. Any such are specially ordered with likely a three year lead time.

#325220  by Irish Chieftain

Short answer: You'd be better off with the ALP-46.

(Yes, it's on-topic, since they hauled Amtrak Clockers up until end of service, operated by Amtrak crews, who per my sources were sorry to see them go.)

#325223  by John_Perkowski

The operational decision of "which locomotive is best" is always welcome, as long as the discussion keeps coming back to Amtrak :)

The procurement decision of "which locomotive should Amtrak buy" seems to be in the realm of dreams at the moment; SFAIK, Amtrak's capital budget for FY 07 has a couple of environmentally friendly yard switchers and "That's it!"

#325227  by mikeydc03

I do have two questions though, how much do both locomotives cost, and can the ALP zbe geared to run at 125mph?

#325229  by DutchRailnut

The Alp 46 could be regeared for 125 but it would sacrifice about 20% of its pulling capacity its European brother does not have to provide HEP via transformer like the American unit does.
Both the hhp-8 and Alp 46 were about 5 million a piece.

#325230  by Njt4300

wow Amtrak only has 15 HHP-8's? Why didn't they invest in ALP-46's?

#325232  by DutchRailnut

The Alp 46 was not available when HHP-8 was purchased, and since kassel plant in Germany is now Bombardier they would still need to buy from Bombardier.

From www.gobytrain.com
650 to 662, 664
HHP-8s along with AEM-7’s work most trains on the Washington DC - New York - Boston corridor and on the Harrisburg line. All are fitted with ACSES.
AEM-7AC and HHP-8 types are operationally interchangeable.

Until October 2006 they were maintained by Northeast Corridor Maintenance Service Company (NECMSC).

========

650 V NE WAS
651 V NE WAS
652 V NE WAS
653 V NE WAS
654 V NE WAS
655 V NE WAS
656 V NE WAS
657 V NE WAS
658 V NE WAS
659 V NE WAS
660 V NE WAS
661 V NE WAS
662 V NE WAS
663 V SU (out of service from August 2005)
664 V NE WAS (collision, Baltimore, 16 June 2006)

#325409  by .Taurus.

DutchRailnut wrote:its European brother does not have to provide HEP via transformer like the American unit does.
From where else?
The german BR101 have HEP (HeadEndPower->Zugsammelscheine)
Or have the american onces provide more electrical power for the coaches?

#325414  by DutchRailnut

What I mean is the European locs do not provide 480 volt HEP but just a single phase tap from tranformer at 3000 or 1500 volt to power Hi power loads like AC (if equiped) and Heat. The cars still have axle generators and lights in general are of axle generators and batteries.
A European coach uses less that 1/3 of electrical load of American passenger car.

#325428  by kevikens

I don't know if it was a matter of reliability or whatever but on Sunday I spotted a consist pulled by a double header of HHP-8's . I have never seen them paired liked that before.

#325437  by DutchRailnut

certain trains are double headed all the time, just deadheading locomotive.
I have seen a east bound in Stamford around 12 20 every day with two engines, 1/3 of time its two hhp-8's