Railroad Forums 

• Hey Boston transit fans - Seashore Trolley Museum

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#141055  by vanshnookenraggen

LOL "just 85 miles"!

#141065  by parovozis

vanshnookenraggen wrote:LOL "just 85 miles"!
It's a smooth and easy ride. You won't even notice it :-D
 #141106  by mb41

I don't even have a car, so 85 miles is nothing. I take the Down easter train to Saco and get picked up and brought to the museum.
 #141144  by Pete

mb41 wrote:I don't even have a car, so 85 miles is nothing. I take the Down easter train to Saco and get picked up and brought to the museum.
Who do we call about getting picked up from Saco?
 #141153  by mb41

I borrow the family car once a month, you can schedule it then or if you come by train keep in touch with me, travel Friday night 6:15pm train and I always stay in the bunk house at the museum. Let me know your schedule and what you like to do at the museum. Thanks.
 #141171  by Pete

mb41 wrote:I borrow the family car once a month, you can schedule it then or if you come by train keep in touch with me, travel Friday night 6:15pm train and I always stay in the bunk house at the museum. Let me know your schedule and what you like to do at the museum. Thanks.
Oh, I thought you just meant for some random visit on like Saturday or something. How do tourists coming by train generally get there?

#141359  by mb41

All of our tourists/visitors come by car. Taxi's cost 25 bucks from the train station.

#141414  by NealG

Whats the closest train station? It would be nice if there was some sort of a shuttle from the station to the museum.

#141418  by StevieC48

The closest Downeaster sta is SACCO/SCO If im there I dont mind picking up our members and visitors. PS you can ask me too about the Museum Stevie 21 years active member and going strong.
Last edited by StevieC48 on Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #141427  by mb41

This would be a tricky task, lots of planning would need to happen.

$ .90 cents fare...LOL.

#141448  by CRail

I am a member there now as of this year. So far i have had a great time. there is plenty to do and learn about. At least when ive been there, several people had come and gone by train, and had someone to give them a ride, didnt seem to be any problems, so if you want to visit, just drop a pm.

#142763  by mb41

Crail, you live in North Cambridge...lucky you. Trackless trolleys :)

I am not happy at all about a new building going up in front of the yard... just more dumb people to cry about the TT's making noise. There is already one guy who moved in behind the yard and the foremans have told me he cries all the time, writting the politicians and more. I love to tell him a thing or two :)

#143262  by CRail

ok first off, what noise? there are no engines! He just wants to hear his own voice. I dont like the building because its just more condos, cambridge seems to be making the transition from triple deckers to condos. I dont like it because the construction is blocking the view of the TT's so you cant get you final pictures of the flyers before they retire.

#143305  by octr202

Its the HVAC and other blowers on the Neoplans that are the issue. The Flyers are still of that old traction design, wherein when the air compressor isn't running, they're silent. The Neoplans have HVAC fans and other cooling fans that seem to run all the time...its no where near as loud as a diesel engine on a bus, but when its quiet they do make enough noise to be heard.

Not that I'm defeding the complaints ("Gee buddy, did ya not notice the big shop building and yard and wires when ya moved in?"), they are a lot louder than the Flyers.

Perhaps someone with more TT knowledge, though, can answer why it is they need to leave them powered up, with the poles up, all the time. It seems to me that overnight, and especially from Saturday to Monday, they could drop the poles and shut them down. Anyone know?