Railroad Forums 

• Herzog rock train

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#119722  by UPRR engineer

I ran the GPS controlled Herzog rock train yesterday, pretty cool. Better than the time i dumped with the RCL. LOL Nice and smooth. Went pretty quick. Wish i could have had a chance to get a better look at the cars to see how the cars were wired up and what not, but we were in a hurry.

#119735  by AmtrakFan

What kind of units do they use?

#119824  by UPRR engineer

Just the cars are Herzog.

The Herzog guy rides the motor next to the cars and with a computer using GPS the cars dump where he tells them to. It works pretty slick.

If anyone has got a close look at these cars, tell me about it.

#119893  by CN_Hogger

I ran a set of Herzog rock cars about a month ago. Not sure if they're the same/similar, but I did notice an electrical type connector between each car mounted about 3-4 feet above the drawbar.

#120144  by UPRR engineer

He had a way of telling when a car was empty with his computer, wonder how that works.

#120186  by SRS125

Conrail used the same tech as Herzog dose with there stone trains as well.

#133946  by UPRR engineer

All From: www.herzogcompanies.com/rrservices/plus.php

PLUS Train

"PLUS" stands for Programmable Linear Unloading System. In simple terms, a computer survey file is created for each ballast spreading assignment, indicating amount, and using gps coordinates, defines and locates spread ballast and no-spread areas.

High speed ballast spreading 20 mph
Eliminates ground forces
Eliminates potential injuries
Reduces needed work window
Ballast spreading 24 hours per day
Patented unloading system
Increased cycle times
Operated with one Herzog technician
Fully maintained and operated by Herzog
The P.L.U.S. train unloads ballast using a preprogrammed survey linked to global positioning satellites

A floppy disc containing the completed survey file is then loaded into the train's computer which, through the spread enclosure, will open and close the ballast doors, spreading exact amounts, at precise locations based on the survey. The software also gives the train's exact location and speed, satellite availability, active ballast cars, empty cars and ballast inventory.

Since no ground personnel are required, the "PLUS" train is capable of night and inclement weather spreading assignments. This greatly reduces the potential of injury and exposure to ballast dust. Additional benefits of the "PLUS" system include a reduction in ballast costs and railroad overhead fewer locomotives, train crews and ballast cars are required, and a reduction in fuel use is yet another benefit.

-----------------------------
The only thing i saw wrong up there was: A floppy disc containing the completed survey file is then loaded into the train's computer.
A labtop computer is plugged into the cars and the HERZOG guy sits in the trailing motor and watches the program run. And the fewer locomotives part and the train crew part, they ment to say track crews.

#265044  by Rockin' Roller

The floppy is just a backup. The surveys can be downloaded from the company, or if you did the survey it is already in the computer.

#266188  by GN 599

We got held up behind of one of those the other night. It was DP'ed. The guys dumped alot of ballast into the parts of the power switch. Omaha 66 wasnt too happy about every train having to take the north switch at Wocus into hand throw. :P

#266322  by UPRR engineer

Thats crazy there GN. I do turn around service when it comes to work trains so about 50% of the time i get to see the work we just did. I was amazed on how nice it dumped at the switches, bridges, and crossings. Maybe the mountains where you work throw the GPS off a bit buddy.

#267842  by GN 599

Yeah every other time I have been around one they are pretty smooth. Some kind of malfunction must have happened for them to ballast that switch like that, really weird.