Railroad Forums 

• Hersey

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#42469  by kevikens

I will be going to Hersey next week. I have never been there before and would like some tips on where to go in the immediate area for rail fanning. I like to take pictures of trains with an industrial setting in the background or going by a station or depot. Any suggestions ? Thanks.
 #42525  by NJ Vike

kevikens wrote:I will be going to Hersey next week. I have never been there before and would like some tips on where to go in the immediate area for rail fanning. I like to take pictures of trains with an industrial setting in the background or going by a station or depot. Any suggestions ? Thanks.
I heard Derry Road crossing is a hot spot. I might be there next week also around Monday or Tuesday. I have a white Ford Expedition with NJ license Plates. Say hello.

Ken

#42706  by Franklin Gowen

Agreed...Derry Road grade crossing!

It's about two-thirds of a mile east of the Hershey factory. Really good spot for photos. There is a parking area along the south edge of NS' right-of-way. There's also a signal bridge immediately east of the crossing. The location is near the east end of a long reverse curve, where the east half curves south (towards Annville) and the west half curves north (towards HersheyPark). From this xing, you can get very good photos of eastbound NS trains with the huge Hershey factory complex as a backdrop.

Another possibility is the joint vehicular/pedestrian bridge across NS, right near the entrance to HersheyPark. It is nearly atop where the Reading's passenger station once stood. The problem is the combination of the hysterical security climate plus the huge number of clueless park patrons. In the afternoon, one could formerly get great views of the park monorail crossing above westbound NS trains. I wouldn't try it today...but your luck may hold out.
 #49494  by Stevescan

Do they use any other frequencies when coming into the Hershey yard other than the regular frequencies?

I will be out there Labor Day Monday..

Thanks