Railroad Forums 

• Herritage coaches on NJT M&E line east of Dover

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#109274  by NJTRailfan

I understand that recently the M&E Railroad acquired 4 or 5 herritage coaches, 1 is formerly with VIA and the 3 or 4 others were all ex Amtrak's. I was todl that the M&E put them ther due to lack of space. What do they plan on doign with them? restore them and press them into charter or excursion service or canabalize them for parts? As of now they are sittign east of dovr. I came home over the weekend due to a 4 day pass from the base so that's how I saw the cars. I saw them on Friday mornign on the Midtown direct train comming out of NYP-dover on the 11:13AM train.

I do hope they can be restored 200% and used for charter/excursion service.

#109439  by RiverMP21

I was wondering what happened to those cars... Ran into them while working a transfer job at Madison Yard in Madison, IL. They were just sitting in the middle of the yard. This was several months ago.

#109890  by Al Holleuffer

The four heritage coaches still sitting in East Dover are all ex-Amtrak cars despite the fact one is lettered for VIA Rail Canada. Henry Butz who handles the M&E's charter passenger business told me as did another manager on the M&E that they were purchased primarily for parts. How the one wound up lettered for VIA is a mystery. If you notice, the lettering on this car does not match that of VIA's stainless steel fleet.

#110155  by NJTRailfan

It's great that M&E is taking good care of the fleet but I'm hoping that they'll purchase some more obs cars and diners along with domes if possible. I know they can get some dining cars and lounges.