Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1096289  by doepack

It's possible, although I am by no means a regular on that route, so I don't know for sure. Could have just been for that day, perhaps track 2 was OOS in that area for some reason, or the dispatcher lined up something else there, etc...
 #1096301  by metraRI

Rockingham Racer wrote:Thanks, Dorian. Interesting. Does this train always cross over to track 1 to make Summit? Seems the people knew it would be on that track.
The change at Summit was probably just for the day it was filmed. Usually when track changes occur, dispatchers will inform Metra GPS to make announcements ahead of the trains arrival.
 #1096608  by Tadman

Interesting, I was unaware they discharged passengers on the north side of CUS. Every time I see an HC train deadheading from the yards in the evening rush, it's parked on the far track and it appears to be waiting to continue to the south side before taking on passengers.
 #1096954  by lstone19

HC trains normally discharge on 19 in the morning but load in the afternoon on 30 (although posted as 28 due to the door that's used). Makes for lots of fun when an HC train, an MD-N, and an MD-W trains arrive almost simultaneously and completely overwhelm the north concourse.
 #1097363  by MACTRAXX

Dorian: That was a neat video of the HC line with the time lapse...The sun was a problem at times but it still came out good...

I found this extra interesting because I have never ridden the HC line between Chicago and Joliet...

If there are videos like yours of other METRA lines let us know...I for one am certainly interested!

I recall also that some SWS trains loaded on the N side and pulled thru because they were serviced
at the Western Avenue Yard during the day...the HC trains pulling thru is no surprise...Does the
BNSF yard facility S of Union Station still only serve BNSF Aurora Line trains?

MACTRAXX
 #1097373  by metraRI

MACTRAXX wrote:I recall also that some SWS trains loaded on the N side and pulled thru because they were serviced at the Western Avenue Yard during the day...the HC trains pulling thru is no surprise...Does the BNSF yard facility S of Union Station still only serve BNSF Aurora Line trains?
HC/SWS have flip-flopped mid-day serving yards several times over the years. At one point both HC/SWS went north to Western Ave. Sometime around the early 00's, both were changed to 14th St. on BNSF. In 2006 when the expansion of SWS went into effect, HC trains went back to Western Ave. while SWS stayed at 14th St.
 #1097595  by doepack

MACTRAXX wrote:Dorian: That was a neat video of the HC line with the time lapse...The sun was a problem at times but it still came out good...

I found this extra interesting because I have never ridden the HC line between Chicago and Joliet...

If there are videos like yours of other METRA lines let us know...I for one am certainly interested!

Thanks. But just to clarify, I didn't actually film that video, just happened to come across it while searching for something else. Of Metra's 11 routes, this route has always intrigued me due to its weird, complex ownership history and route structure, among other things...
 #1097939  by MACTRAXX

Dorian: Thanks again for this SWS video link...
The FleX1435 posted a most interesting view of most of the SWS route...

My relatives lived just one block north of what is now Wrightwood Station in the
vicinity of 78th Street and Kedzie Avenue...

Back in my Chicago visiting days 1973-1988 I rode this route many times and
I still have never been past Ashburn on the SWS train...

Back before the service was expanded it would have been a problem to travel
past Ashburn because of the train schedule and the 835 Bus would have not been
an option either because it travels nonstop from Oak Lawn to Downtown Chicago
and does not connect with CTA bus routes like the 52a or 79 which could get me
back to the neighborhood...

MACTRAXX
 #1097988  by metra209

Also seen in the video was the Amtrak Brighton Park facility. Does anyone know if Amtrak trains are still sometimes serviced at that facility? Seems that there are no more of them, which apparently means that they are now served at 14th.