Railroad Forums 

• Helperlink

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1371117  by tj48

I was recently browsing through the excellent NSDash9.com website. I was looking at the NS SD40e listing and I saw that certain units are equipped with a system called Helperlink. I know it is used for Helper service but I was curious as to how it works.
 #1371124  by Engineer Spike

It uses the features of the two way marker telemetry. This way they don't have to connect the brake pipe to the helper, and the helper knows what is going on with the air. It might also have a valve to place the helper in emergency, if the lead engineer puts the train in emergency. I have seen pictures of a mechanical link to the coupler pin lifter. This way the helper can cut off without stopping, or having a second man pull the pin.

Just a note, but I have never used this. My answer is based on what I have read, and pictures.
 #1371218  by TB Diamond

Correct. Used the apparatus with the BNSF Belle Ayr helper job on the Orin Line circa 2000.
 #1385877  by tj48

Another question about Helperlink to you railroaders.
I have seen a couple of videos of NS SD40E's with the Helperlink system being used as head end helpers. In this case can the Helperlink system still be used or does the train in this case have to stop to detach the SD40E's?