Railroad Forums 

• Help With Location ID

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#228530  by David Hutchinson

Your standing where the old YMCA was... to the right is Reading, to the left is Hagerstown.

#228651  by David Hutchinson

Might be Darby Creek.... to the right looks like the building next to the turntable that GP7 663 went into the pit.... I beleive it was traded to EMD for the last GP35, 3656.....
 #228750  by geep39

Dave:
You're a bit off there. 663 went into the pit at Saucon Creek (Bethlehem).
The built-out office portion was BRICK at Saucon, and was on the left side of the roundhouse. Darby Creek was a concrete (or concrete coated) two-stall enginehouse, and the "Essington, PA" location, if that's correct, puts it just west of the Philadelphia International Airport, which is where Darby Creek was.

Steve

#228753  by kpiersol

Please disregard "Essington," as I thought I took the photo at Darby Creek but now I am unsure. I posted the photo location as "Essington" just to get it into the website. Like most slides I took back then, I failed to note the location on the slide, so there is nothing on the slide which would indicate where the photo was taken. And after 30+ years, my memory has long since faded. So, any other detective work would be most appreciated.

I'll be posting today a shot of a Reading snowplow #92650 I took back in November 1972 - in what looks like a "remote" yard (not many public buildings in the background) with a turntable with an RS3 on it in the background.

I really appreciate you guys helping me on this.

Kim Piersol

#228795  by David Hutchinson

Snow plow and turntable? Maybe Bridgeport? How far was Darby Creek from Industrial Highway in Essington? I was just there and went up and down the highway looking for stuff like the old Baldwin buildings....

#230111  by geep39

Dave:
Was just in the neighborhood, and you should find the Baldwin buildings where the Amtrak Northeast Corridor crosses under I-95. I also thought that my uncle told me that some of the buildings that Boeing Vertol uses were BLW (my memory could be fuzzy there)

Darby Creek was between the Phila International Airport and the sprawling former Westinghouse plant in Lester. Mostly redeveloped these days.

#230157  by David Hutchinson

When you pass Boeing on Industrial Avenue, going south, you will see one old brick building off to the right. This is before the ATK crossing overhead. Then, there is a cement colored office building in the same area, that is kinda round but with flat sides. Someone told me this is the old BLW office building. By the way... what kind of traffic is there on the branch? Also, what type of traffic is on the old B&O line that I saw running off McDade Blvd in Woodlyn/

#230331  by geep39

The X-shaped light colored building you saw is definitely the old Baldwin office building. I understand that they have a rather crude live steam model of a RDG T-1 inside. The Baldwin works sprawled around that whole area, and a lot of it has been "redeveloped". I've seen local "peddler" freights on the first branch you mentioned, with CSX locos, so I assume it's CSX. The old B&O line parallels I-95, and you'll see traffic on it at night and early morning for the most part. I saw the Tropicana "juice" train once or twice, but I'm sure that's part of its route.

#231058  by kpiersol

Here's a shot of Snow Plow #92650 that I have tentatively labeled Reading, Pa. Note RS3 #493 on the turntable? and the "row homes" in the background. Can anyone give me a positive ID on this location?? Thank you.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=331118

Kim Piersol

#273615  by mitch kennedy

I would say you're safe in the Reading assumption. The Darby Creek shot is DEFINITELY Darby Creek-just of the old Industrial Hwy (Rte 291) I was there with my Dad in the early 70's and another VO100m , 2710, was there, as well as a GP35/GP7/RS3 lashup ready to depart. At one time, this was a Darby Creek-Rutherford run, but I don't know if that ran that far so close to the end of the Rdg. Th shot at Rdg is of a Jordan spreader, one of several owned by the Rdg . The wings are used, in addition to snow removal, to spread ballast and conform the "shoulder" to a uniform contour sort of like a ballast regulator would. A line in New England, the SLR has one still in semi-regular use, tho' stored offline on the New Hampshire Central at Columbia NH. Look forward to more pix!
Mitch

#273760  by Nacho66

That looks more like the yard at Wayne Jct. IMHO.