Railroad Forums 

• Help on the MRL.

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#356860  by B&MYoshi

Hello folks. I don't frequent this side of the forum much but have been contemplating a drastic move in modeling from New England to Mullan Pass.

I need a rundown of MRL operations over Mullan Pass and in the city of Helena.

How do the LM and ML trains work? Do their cars originate from BNSF run through trains in Missoula and Laurel or do they come off MRL long distance trains from the system terminuses? Do BNSF trains even set out cars in MRL yards like Helena or do they operate purely run-through (albeit with MRL helpers)?
Like the above questions, do the cars for Helena come off the LM and ML, or do they come off other MRL mainline freights, or BNSF trains, or some combination?

How are switching duties in Helena handled? It isn't handled by the LM and ML, right, but by local switchers ?What is the industrial base in Helena? From what I could gather, there seemed to be a major smelter (with its own switching power?), a cement or other stone company on the Montana City branch, a tank farm near the yards, and other container/boxcar based industries. What are these industries?

Thanks for your help, sorry for all the questions.