Railroad Forums 

• Help on Park Junction

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#94953  by kevikens

Can someone tell me exactly where Park Junction is in Philadelphia and if it is railfan friendly and a good spot for photography ? Thanks

#94998  by kevikens

Yes, I did and the responses there do not address my interests except for the one about it being "under the Art Museum". I know that cannot be true because some of the books on the Readin RR. clealy show tracks coming together in the open and near a tower. I don't want to wander around West Phila. looking for the place if I can pin it down to an exact spot. Also I want to know about its present "railfanability" in terms of safety and photographic possibilities but thanks for pointing out that some other fans also have some interest in the spot.

#95462  by Urban D Kaye

kevikens -

Photo spots near Park Jct:

There's a curve at Ingleside, the connector betwen the RDG and the PRR. I've passed it a few times near the east end of the Girard Ave bridge (near 33rd???). RailPictures.net (as mentioned) has some great shots by various photographers from the Ingleside location.

Also beyond the west end of the Art Museum tunnel, west of the green steel walking crossover...you may be able to get some shots from there.

I haven't photo'd at the junction itself...wish I could be of more help.

#96633  by nick_anshant

CP Belmont is probably the best location to photograph trains that go through Park Junction. Belmont is where the highline (CSX Harrisburg Sub.) and the CSX Trenton Line meet. All trains that run through Philadelphia go through CP Belmont except for Q370, Q373, Q405, Q406 which operate west out of South Philly yard and east into the yard. Belmont is located on West River Drive in Philadelphia. You can access it from two locations. The first his up behind a stable on West River Drive that has a road up to gardens right next to the tracks. The other, the more favorable, is accessed from a City Maint. facility that is alongside the tracks. There is a dirt road that leads up to the tracks and then a massive hill overlooking the tracks in all directions.

#96820  by kevikens

Thanks, evreybody who responded. I went down there this past weekend. The actual junction spot is unrecognizable as a junction any more. No longer is there a tower there and it is down to one track. It does not resemble the appearance of what it looked like in some of the old B&O and Reading Books from back some 40 or 50 years ago, but how many rail locations from then still do. I took the opportunity while in the area to look around and got some good AM shots both Sat and Sun of the NS freight out of Pavonia via Frankford Junction as it crossed the Columbia Bridge on its way to Belmont. I had to do some mountain climing to get above the level of the concrete railing that obscures the lower portions of the train. After seeing those posted shots of CSX coming underneath the NEC I have got to try to get there. I'd love to get a shot of a CSX with an Amtrak, NJT or Septa trian above it. I also discovered about a half mile west of the NEC crossing and about a half mile east of the Columbia Bridge a stone arch bridge that CSX uses to cross one of the parks drives. There is an abandoned signal bridge spanning the tracks at the arch and it would make a good PM location for a photo. Thanks again.

#97153  by Urban D Kaye

kevikens wrote:I also discovered about a half mile west of the NEC crossing and about a half mile east of the Columbia Bridge a stone arch bridge that CSX uses to cross one of the parks drives. There is an abandoned signal bridge spanning the tracks at the arch and it would make a good PM location for a photo.
I found an old postcard of that spot, and set up a current pic there for comparison. Here's the "before-n-after" set:

-Urban

#97282  by kevikens

Urban; Am I missing something ? Where is the picture you are referring to ?

#97420  by Urban D Kaye

kevikens wrote:Urban; Am I missing something ? Where is the picture you are referring to ?
Hmmm. I'm seeing it on screen. I take it from your comment that you're not. I'll hafta post a link for ya...

try clicking here