Railroad Forums 

• Help on Park Junction

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#94950  by kevikens

I am looking for exact information on the location of Park Junction in Philadelphia. Just where is it and can it be railfanned today ? Thanks

#95020  by glennk419

Park Junction is in the vicinity of 33rd Street and Girard Avenue in the Fairmount / Brewerytown section of the city, along the border of Fairmount Park east of the river. I believe you can see it from Pennsylvania Avenue and also where the tracks pass under Girard. It's not the best railfanning location from a safety standpoint, especially if you're going to be spending a significant amount of time there with expensive electronic and photographic equipment. I'm not sure what the best time of day is for traffic in the area but I would try to get in, get your shots and get out.

#95066  by kevikens

Thanks, Glenn. That's exactly what I am looking for. By the way can you still see the old Reading tracks join the main line from Eastside and is the tower still there ?

#95089  by glennk419

Eastside yard and tower are still very much intact. I haven't been down there in years so I don't know if the tower is still active but it was always kept in good shape. I also can't tell you what remains of the ex-Chester branch at this point.

#95764  by kevikens

Glen: I went down there this weekend. If you did not know that there had ever been a junction at that spot you never would have guessed it once was a major junction, one track, no tower or switches. Neighborhood does not look bad. looks like gentirfication going on. I went to nearby Columbia bridge for some good pix. That place stiill is a great place for bridge shots. Also about a half mile east of the bridge, a mile west of Park Junction I spotted an old signal bridge over the CSx Line as it crosses one of the park drives on a stone arch bridge. I'll be going back there soon for some pix.