Railroad Forums 

• Help Needed Identifying Baldwin Plate. Thanks!!

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#269824  by highrailjon

Hey all!! Greetings from the South!! It seems you fellas are pretty good at figuring out builders plate, so I thought I would let you take a gander at this one. Thanks, Jon

Here is some stamping on the backside:

#269885  by GOLDEN-ARM

Hank Rentschler, where are you!?!?!?! Hank has all the info, available, from Baldwin. You might send him an Email, if he doesnt respond soon........... :-D

#270056  by mp15ac

Judging by the fact that its oval in shape, the year, and M1, I'm willing to bet its from a Pennsylvania M1 class 4-8-2. Except for Pennsy engines Baldwin used a round builder's plate for their locomotives.

Stuart

#270073  by hankadam

Oh, what I do in the interest of scientific discovery. One might think I know something about steam locomotives, but I didn't get to Eddystone until 1954 (and was even in a different department) and that was very near then end of ALL locomotive production. But anyway, here goes: The locomotive was indeed part of a large order for the Pennsylvania R.R. Co. with deliveries during the Summer and Fall of 1926, so the "10" on the plate in question was for October. For the year, 1926, it was #614 for all production to that date, and #191 out of 260 on that particular order. Yes, it was a Mountain type, 4-8-2 with a Pennsy number of #6875. And a raft of "screwy" numbers 14 - 48 1/4 E 191. These are: E indicates that eight wheels are connected as driving wheels. A figure (in this case - 14 - is used to indicate the whole number of wheels under the locomotive, The addition of the fraction - 1/4 - indicates that there is a truck at each end of the locomotive. 191 is the individual designation gives the "class number" for that locomotive in addition to the serial number = 59500. The piston stroke was 30"; weight of engine and tender was 600,300 lb. I would think the RR Museum of Pennsylvania would have a photograph (a copy from original negative) and they were charging a small fee for copies. That would really add to your name plate. Take care, Hank Rentschler.

#270076  by hankadam

Sorry - - - I neglected to define one number - 48 - this meant the cylinders were 27" in diameter. Take care, Hank R.

#270096  by highrailjon

WOW!!! Hank, THANK YOU for your time!!! :-D :-D I'll contact the museum to see if I can purchase a negative of the engine, great idea-thanks again. Here are a couple shots of my 3rd Rail Mountain.

#270103  by hev

Man,.................that plate looks familiar. ....It looks like the one on a M.1. I ran many moons ago.......................... :wink:

hev :P

#270120  by highrailjon

LOL, Hev!! You look old enough to have been yanking on a Johnson bar!!! :P :P :P Maybe you could use your small town influence and see if Kurt over at the PRR Museum can make me a copy of the #6875 negative? Hell, I might even buy you a beer!!!

#270136  by hev

Damn.............I think I can do that for a beer................. :P :P

hev :wink:

#270172  by highrailjon

Hev, You always were a beer *lut!!!! :P :P :P :wink:

(*=s) :-D :-D :-D

#270203  by GOLDEN-ARM

A big tip of the hat, to the Eddystone Master Guru, Hank Rentschler!!!!!!!!

#271657  by highrailjon

Well, Hev checked the PRR negative book with Kurt at the PRR museum. So far no builders negatives of the 6875. But Kurt had some wonderful things to say about Hank Rentschler!!!!
The guy that found your info was one of the best. He was the ex president of The Baldwin Co. he donated some things to the PRR musuem here in Strasburg Kurt was tellin' me. So, the next time you come up here gonna have to call Petey and check out the museum and meet Kurt.
WOW!!!! :-D
If any of you sleuths have access to the #6875's builders photos, I sure would appreciate it!!! Here's an example:

#273146  by highrailjon

And another tip of the hat to my Bro Hev who found a shot of the 6875!!! It's pretty nice matching the engine up the the plate, and knowing that plate in the picture is the one I have!!! :-D :-D :-D