Railroad Forums 

• help me out: Aerotron Alpha 1700

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#426870  by CleanCab_108

Guys,

I recently recieved this radio in a trade and I am looking for info. There is no labels on it nor do I have any documentation. If anyone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

[/img][/url]
Last edited by CleanCab_108 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#426986  by Conrail4evr

Is there any info on the back or bottom? Most radios will have info on the rear or bottom such as model number, serial number, wattage, power ratings, etc. This info would help us a bit, if the info exists. If not, then I suspect that the labels were removed at some point.

#426996  by clearblock

That is an Aerotron Alpha 1700. It is a standard AAR "Clean Cab" locomotive radio the same as the Motorola RR Spectra.

The Aerotron logo is normally in the blank space between the PTT and DISP buttons.

#427244  by CleanCab_108

Clearblock,

thank you for the info. Do you know if the home channels can be changed or are they preset and programmed via software. I would love to find a manual on this thing. Thank you again.

CleanCab_108
Last edited by CleanCab_108 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#427318  by clearblock

The home channels can be programmed from the front panel by placing the radio in program mode with an internal jumper.

Send me a PM about what specifically you need to do to your radio and I may be able to send you the info you need.

#427335  by CarterB

That radio must be older than dirt!!! I sure looks in good condition for its age. A guy on the Kenwood radio group was selling the manual for it about 4 yrs ago for $100.

#438524  by Terminal Proceed

You can probably get one from the mafr if theyre stilla roudn for about $10

#438700  by CSX Conductor

I'd be wary of accepting that, lol. May be stolen. I've seen some of that design very recently still in service.
 #591450  by KC8WJG

I too have just acquired one almost identical, though mine appears to be model 1600. I think suspect that the unit it was not DOA, and wonder if anyone knows the 13.8/72V pinout for this one. There are four pins.

Anyone know? I know this is an old thread, but gotta start somewhere.
 #593932  by KC8WJG

Never mind, I just figured it out myself. There are 4 pins labeled ABCD. with B and D used for 12V and A and C for 72-74 loco operation. If you look very closely, you can see they are labeled.

If nothing else, maybe this post will help someone else.