Railroad Forums 

• Help make Milwaukee Road 261 a "Dirty Job"

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#511729  by Hawko

The Discovery Channel's television program "Dirty Jobs" is trying to do an episode in each state. I think the Milwaukee Road 261 should represent Minnesota. What could be filthier or more fun than restoring, maintaining, cleaning or operating a steam locomotive? There are several jobs worth looking into such as hostler, fireman, locomotive maintenance and passenger car toilet maintenance. If you agree go to the Discovery Channel's website and click on Dirty Jobs.

#516663  by Burner

Ive been trying to find a way to get a railroad featured on that show...

I just couldnt think of a very dirty job on the railroad... I never thought of tourist lines

#516752  by Hawko

Dirty Jobs has already done one one show on railroading. The host, Mike Rowe, was a gandy dancer for a day. Not exactly dirty, but definitely back breaking, work.

Another idea I had for the show was working on the Loram rail grinder. I have not submitted this suggestion yet. What do you folks think?

#516863  by Burner

Hawko wrote:Dirty Jobs has already done one one show on railroading. The host, Mike Rowe, was a gandy dancer for a day. Not exactly dirty, but definitely back breaking, work.

Another idea I had for the show was working on the Loram rail grinder. I have not submitted this suggestion yet. What do you folks think?
I must have missed that one.
 #517064  by amtrakhogger

I emailed "Dirty Jobs" via their website and suggested that Mike work
a day as a fireman for Strasburg, or New Hope and Ivyland, or
Steamtown. I have not gotten any responses.

#522275  by Scoring Guy

Since the 261 is due for a boiler tear down and inspection this September, maybe a good Dirty Job for that guy would be scraping rust off of the flues.

#533211  by Scoring Guy

Steve, at the Friends of thr 261, tells me that they have contacted the Dirty Jobs show with regard to the boiler inspection. Cross your fingers.

#533578  by Mike Walsh

they should do the boiler inspection, then have him come back to hand fire 261 on one of its excursions... :D