Railroad Forums 

• Help from actual real Railroaders--Please!!

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#153518  by blippo

For road jobs, I've been using the canvas type that you would see in airports that have wheels and a handle that extends. It has a handle on the top and on the side. For my books I carry another canvas type that that has a shoulder strap and have a few different compartments.

#153556  by Guest

I have two bags as well. One is a largish unit that has most of my stuff in it. I tried a few and found that the rolling duffle bag type thing is the best. Get one with the handle and wheels, but that also has a shoulder strap. You'll want the wheels when you have to get the stupid thing to your hotel room. You'll need the shoulder strap when you have to carry you crap across the yard/tracks.

My other bag is a large briefcase type thing with an accordion file. I keep all my paper work and books in there as well as my handset, my lunch and my laptop.

-r

In the land of the witless, the half-wit is the king.

#153665  by UPRR engineer

You guys use those airport suit cases? labtops? TWO GRIPS??? What a bunch of dorks.

You want your grip to be big enough to hold just what you need to take with you, the bigger the grip, the more you will throw in, and the more you will hate packing it around. I use a military issue, medium size back pack. There plenty of room for all your stuff in something like that. Ive went and done some winter backpacking and had less stuff with me then some of these guys take to work. Start out with something smaller and simple, look around the shack, and see some of these tards try to get on the power with there super size grips and then decide what direction to take. Id steer clear of the metal grip. What did LCJ call them, hammy bag, bad news trying to clime aboard with one of those.

#153766  by thebigc

UPRR engineer wrote:Id steer clear of the metal grip. What did LCJ call them, hammy bag, bad news trying to clime aboard with one of those.
You ever consider just putting your grip on the front porch and then climbing on?

Or you could attach a pair of D rings and a shoulder strap. Voila!

My Hammie bag is 18 years old and still going strong.

#153836  by Guest

UPRR engineer wrote:You guys use those airport suit cases? labtops? TWO GRIPS??? What a bunch of dorks.
Hogs can carry a purse if they like, since they don't need to bring anything but a couple of books. I'm pretty sure most of 'em don't even bother with a change of clothes.

Conductors need to carry their stuff; lantern, extra battery, rain gear, air gauge, radio, time table/NORAC books, hazmat crap, thermos, food, change of clothes for the trip home, sweatshirt, handset, clipboard, personal items (like a toothbrush, toothpast shampoo, herpes medication), temple stick/pens, extra flashlight, form D book, air slips and other assorted forms and paperwork, something to read etc. Some of us also carry a laptop so we can improve ourselves via free on-line college education (thanks NS!).....

Like I said..think rolling duffle.

-r

In the land of the witless, the half-wit is king.

#153838  by SteelWheels21

A few guys here favor those road cases that bands use to transport their equipment (not the big amp-sized ones LOL but the briefcased sized ones with the diamond plate). Totally agree with razor, conductors have a TON of stuff to bring. I have my grip down to a science and it's still packed to the gills. And hey, don't forget your cooler with the food/drinks for a 12 hour shift.

#153846  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

Thank you-Thank you-Thank you!

I think I am going with my old military footlocker! Just to make sure I have room for moonpies and R.C Colas for the ride! LOL

Thanks for all the advise!

Nashville Newbie

#153865  by steam371

razor wrote:
UPRR engineer wrote:You guys use those airport suit cases? labtops? TWO GRIPS??? What a bunch of dorks.
Hogs can carry a purse if they like, since they don't need to bring anything but a couple of books. I'm pretty sure most of 'em don't even bother with a change of clothes.

Conductors need to carry their stuff; lantern, extra battery, rain gear, air gauge, radio, time table/NORAC books, hazmat crap, thermos, food, change of clothes for the trip home, sweatshirt, handset, clipboard, personal items (like a toothbrush, toothpast shampoo, herpes medication), temple stick/pens, extra flashlight, form D book, air slips and other assorted forms and paperwork, something to read etc. Some of us also carry a laptop so we can improve ourselves via free on-line college education (thanks NS!).....

Like I said..think rolling duffle.

-r

In the land of the witless, the half-wit is king.
Herpes medication? Got the drip do ya, you need a new hotel my friend!!

#153867  by jg greenwood

Purchased one of the road warrior metal grips a few months ago. Bullet-proof, extremely roomy. Spend a few extra $ & get the available carrying-strap. No problem boarding the engine with it, wide-cabs that is. They're quite heavy fully loaded; if my old-a$$ can pack one up the steps, you young-uns can.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res93a8s/
click on "road warrior"

#153883  by Guest

steam371 wrote:Herpes medication? Got the drip do ya, you need a new hotel my friend!!
Was wondering if someone would catch that... :wink:

-r

#153964  by thebigc

jg greenwood wrote:Purchased one of the road warrior metal grips a few months ago. Bullet-proof, extremely roomy. Spend a few extra $ & get the available carrying-strap. No problem boarding the engine with it, wide-cabs that is. They're quite heavy fully loaded; if my old-a$$ can pack one up the steps, you young-uns can.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res93a8s/
click on "road warrior"
Yep, those look like the original "hammy" bags. I see the sled runners are standard equipment now. I didn't opt for them when I bought mine so the grip sits on the hinge, which is showing some wear.

All in all, $68.00 well spent.

#153987  by UPRR engineer

SteelWheels21 wrote:A few guys here favor those road cases that bands use to transport their equipment
Damb thats funny, and its the truth.

How long have you been packing your lab top razor? Dropping that sucker off the unit would make a guy a cry. Didnt they tell you guys in class to pack light and dont bring anything that you will be sorry to lose or break? Ever see those old men hobble out to the train, hunched over with two bags and a cooler? That stuff is hard on your back. You'll be a wreck when its time to cash out.

"Hope theres room in there for all my stuff"

#153996  by UPRR engineer

If ya cant fit it into a grip this size you dont need to bring it.

Throw the rules in and other books and stuff, tooth brush deodorant in the side pocket along with other medication and what not to live, toss in your conductor books, pens, temple stick in that front pocket. Pile your extra shirt, socks, and boxers on top of your rules, place a nudie mag on top of that, dump the radio in, air gage and hose gaskets in the other side pocket with a small poncho from Wally World. Hook your lantern to the shoulder strap, fill up you bucket with chow and your off to work.

#154005  by Guest

UPRR engineer wrote:If ya cant fit it into a grip this size you dont need to bring it.... with a small poncho from Wally World.
Yeah, that 's a good size bag. I carry a briefcase-sized bag as well that has - my saftey glasses (I have a pair for day and a pair for night) paperwork (such as my Form D book) handset, gloves, flashlight, clipboard. This is what I carry when I'm in the yard or doing locals.

As far as rain gear goes, <i>do not</i> get a frickin' poncho from Wally-World . At the very least get yourself an inexpensive suit from a an army supply type place. If you have the $, get a gortex suit. Get the best rain gear you can, you'll thank me the first time you have to ride a car in a downpour or have to work in the yard in the rain for 10 hours.

If you are a hog, and the only danger of getting wet is spilling your drink, or walking from the power to the jitney...then by all means get a poncho.

-r