Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#79572  by 7 Train

It has worked in the past-a 2002/3 campaign to save the Redbirds actually worked-more were saved than expected.

#79786  by efin98

There was a need then, there isn't now. You can't bring back what is already gone, especially when there aren't enough around to bring back. So you bring back one or two trainsets, what do you replace them with on work duty?

#79826  by 7 Train

So you bring back one or two trainsets, what do you replace them with on work duty?
R33 ML & R33 WF's. There are 58 & 39 of them, respectively.

#79841  by efin98

7 Train wrote:
So you bring back one or two trainsets, what do you replace them with on work duty?
R33 ML & R33 WF's. There are 58 & 39 of them, respectively.
Still too few for service. There isn't anything to replace their numbers in work service.

Lets see work service or angering thousands of passengers with inferior trains... no contest- they ain't coming back no matter how much you cry for them.

It is over, they are retired. There isn't a need for them any more.

#80595  by 7 Train

Lets see work service or angering thousands of passengers with inferior trains... no contest- they ain't coming back no matter how much you cry for them.

About 14 R36 WF's are on "temporary storage"-that means they still can come for service any time.

#80605  by efin98

7 Train wrote:

About 14 R36 WF's are on "temporary storage"-that means they still can come for service any time.
notice the quotations, it's extremely doubtful they would ever run again outside of work trains and even more doubtful they would ever pull passengers again.

And you still have not bothered to answer what the NYCT will do regarding work trains... your selective answerings is really getting old. It's never going to happen. You are just getting lip service.

#80803  by 7 Train

Why not? The R33 ML's ran on the 2 & 4 as well as on fan trips.

#80813  by Robert Paniagua

Ok Mr. 7 train, let's not get into a feud over them, they won't come back on the road for regular use as far as I know.

And you're more than welcomed to go to Seashore Trolley Museum to ride on them, I think some are headed that way, I'm not too positive though, but you can check.

#81097  by 7 Train

I did speak to Bill Wall today, he said that they already ran the R33 WF on the 7. I told him about the R36, but he said they they are the same model.

#82044  by 7 Train

The campaign is canceled. I spoke with the 7 Train office today and they said neither they nor Bill Wall can do it (run the R36).

#82451  by Robert Paniagua

Well, Mr. efin98 was right all along, there would not be enough R36 coaches to be used today, and as I said, you can now go up to Seashore Trolley Museum or some other similar museum to see them.......

#82504  by PacificCommand

There is a reason why they said no.
It is because
1. they restored a train of similar cars-- R33MLs.
2. the R33MLs, a more reliable fleet, in MUCH better condition, are VERY similar to the R36WF fleet
3. the R33MLs were mostly rustless when retired, now many have larger rustpatches. Now the R36WFs, they looked as if they were on the verge of collapsing when retired, Imagine how they are now!
R36WF 9565 was to be used in queens as a visitor center-- when it was sent to CIYD to get work prepared, they immediately changed the plan to use R33ML 9075 instead.

The R36WFs sucked and theres no way around that... They are a dark point in NYCT history. The MTA doesnt want a train showing people how bad they were... sorta like why there is no grafitti trains in a mod consist.

If the MTA was to have a redbird train, they would use an R26, R28, R29, R30, R30A, R33ML, or R36ML An R17or R27 would even make a better redbird train.