Railroad Forums 

• Heating Cars

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #936301  by chnhrr

I know that heating cars were used on the NYC, but I’m not familiar with the usage of these car types by the New Haven. I don’t know why I’m asking these questions on day when the temperature here is in the low 90’s, but here I go.

a) Since most of the NH passenger locomotives had heating units, where theses cars used for supplemental heating or as backups during the failure of a locomotive’s onboard system?

b) Did the cars employ kerosene flash boilers?

c) Which company manufactured these cars or were they custom made in the New Haven shops?

d) Were these cars used in the 1960’s?
 #936433  by edbear

The Heating Trailers were used with EF-3 locomotives which were used on very long Penn Station passenger trains. The 0150-0154 B-W engines in this class got heating boilers starting in 1944. The GE engines in this class did not. Couldn't tell you how long the use of Heating Trailers lasted.
 #936492  by Noel Weaver

The heating trailers pictured had flash boilers in them, one in a trailer could heat a good size train. Their use most likely ended in the very early 50's at the latest. Once the 370's arrived and the 4400 class MU's arrived, they did not need to use the 150's in passenger service and as pointed out, the first five of them had boilers anyway.
All of the boilers and steam generators ran on diesel fuel just like the diesel locomotives.
Noel Weaver