Railroad Forums 

• Heat restrictions

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#156861  by charlie6017

capltd29 wrote:The Kensington, MD accident was purely CSX's fault, they lifted that 25 mph speed restriction in the maintanance zone, before the work was complete.
That's a good point and thanks for looking into that. I apparently missed that part of the documentary. Did anyone else see that on TV by the way? It was on the channel "A&E" earlier this week.

#156919  by Railjunkie

Nip

While railroads do have heat related restrictions and sometimes use them. CSX seems to have one everyday regaurdless if the temp exceeds 90 or not. Metro north between POU and NYC sees more trains than the CSX section between POU and ALB yet ther have not been any heat restrictions posted that effect the movement of trains on the Hudson Line

#156982  by capltd29

A study should be done on exactly what temp/conditions are actually prime for heat kinks to occur. Maybe 95 degrees or 100 degrees.

Jon

#157473  by roadster

The Heat restriction Rule is System wide. If the temp is predicted to be over a certain degree, the restriction goes on regardless if it's Albany Division or the Florence Division. Now if some of you recall, last August a frieght derailed up here east of Utica, NY on the Albany division. The cause was determined to be a heat kink. The Hudson line Albany South does not see the tonage that the CSX mains do and it also utilizes concrete ties if I'm not mistaken, paid for by state and federal grants. Bottom line it's a liability issue.

#157777  by Railjunkie

roadster

I went west Sunday to SYR and if I remember correctly the heat restriction was on the Hudson and Selkirk subs but not on the Mohawk sub. I dont think the temp in say around tribes hill or big nose was that much cooler than ALB. I unerstand the heat rule is a system wide restriction I deal with it almost every day on the Hudson.

Metro North uses cement ties but there is still alot of wood down there while the tonnage is not the same, but its still welded rail and subject to the same type of stress and heat. It would seem CSX sometimes just slaps on the restriction. There have been days when the temp never reached 90 on the Hudson and it was there. Ive even received a EC1 for flash flooding and the sun was out and no rain in site.

Just some random thougts

#158426  by roadster

I went east the same day and yes your right there was no heat restriction on the Mohawk, but there was on the Selkirk Branch. I generally put this under computer data error. There seems to have been a few more than average lately. But you have to remember that they are going by what the weather service is predicting, not what is happening at present and subject to that variable of reliability. Getting disp. bulletin at 1 am and the heat restrictions are posted for that day, because the temp.s are predicted to reach the minimum tolerance.