Railroad Forums 

• HEADS UP: Heritage Units on NS Southern Tier

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1029299  by RSD15

Matt Langworthy wrote:
Penn Central never owned N&W stock. The ICC forced the Pennsy to divest itself of its N&W shares as a prelude to the merger. Nitpick about red vs green all you want, but Saunders and his team at PC continued the same practices from the Pennsy i.e. divesting revenue in outside ventures and dividends, rather than using it to improve the Pennsy's physical plant. I don't care what Saunders accomplished with the N&W, because his actions at Pennsy/PC were blatantly immoral.

P.S. One shouldn't criticize another poster's spelling if one can't use the quote marks correctly.
In 1970 Penn Central owned most of the Wabash RR and and was leasing it to the Norfolk & Western. In 1964 when the N&W purchased the NKP
they also wanted the Wabash,but for some reason the ICC made them wait 6 years to finish the deal. The N&W continued to lease the Wabash
from PRR/PC during those years.Finally in 1970 the two railroads finished the deal, N&W receiving Penn Central's stock in the Wabash and
PC receiving N&W common stock from N&W.

Charles

P.S. Matt I'm sorry I was not criticizing your spelling I actually thought that you were unaware that his name was Saunders.
 #1029340  by scharnhorst

The Southern Railway Heritage unit 8099 is done saw photos from a friend on Facebook who is an NS Company photographer in the Public Relations Department.
 #1029359  by Matt Langworthy

RSD15 wrote:In 1970 Penn Central owned most of the Wabash RR and and was leasing it to the Norfolk & Western. In 1964 when the N&W purchased the NKP
they also wanted the Wabash,but for some reason the ICC made them wait 6 years to finish the deal. The N&W continued to lease the Wabash
from PRR/PC during those years.Finally in 1970 the two railroads finished the deal, N&W receiving Penn Central's stock in the Wabash and
PC receiving N&W common stock from N&W.

Charles

P.S. Matt I'm sorry I was not criticizing your spelling I actually thought that you were unaware that his name was Saunders.
Oh wow... I was aware of the Wabash lease but I didn't know that PC got N&W stock as part of the deal. I stand corrected and apologize for giving you a hard time on that. I accept your apology, too.
 #1029394  by chrisnewhaven

I think they would've held onto it, N&W paid a good dividend (so much so that it kept the PRR in the black from its last actual profit in 1949 to the PC merger).
C.J.V.
 #1029533  by sd80mac

scharnhorst wrote:The Southern Railway Heritage unit 8099 is done saw photos from a friend on Facebook who is an NS Company photographer in the Public Relations Department.

it shows me that you are either... not reading other people's posting or open the link to see what it's on that link. your message above is almost 24 hours OLD! It's like everyone in this forum have 4g phone and you're using 2g phone, possible 900mhz phone or whatever that old phone (1x?) was before 2g phone.
 #1029868  by scharnhorst

sd80mac wrote:
scharnhorst wrote:The Southern Railway Heritage unit 8099 is done saw photos from a friend on Facebook who is an NS Company photographer in the Public Relations Department.

it shows me that you are either... not reading other people's posting or open the link to see what it's on that link. your message above is almost 24 hours OLD! It's like everyone in this forum have 4g phone and you're using 2g phone, possible 900mhz phone or whatever that old phone (1x?) was before 2g phone.

I don't have Internet or Video on my cell phone, to expensive don't need it, don't want to spend the money on it. Already paying $70.00 a month on International phone plan Only need basic text and Photo and that's it.
 #1031927  by joshuahouse

It looks great. I suppose part of the mixed feelings people have towards the repaints come from being able to remember the various heritage railroads or not. I was born in '78 so only have vague memories of LV or Reading or EL engine that had yet to be repainted when I was very young.
 #1031965  by K4Pacific

Interesting that most NS Southern Tier Line operational employees operate under the old "Nickel Plate Agreement".
 #1032254  by sd80mac

scharnhorst wrote:
sd80mac wrote:

I don't have Internet or Video on my cell phone, to expensive don't need it, don't want to spend the money on it. Already paying $70.00 a month on International phone plan Only need basic text and Photo and that's it.
why need $70/mo for that when u can do it free on interent with chat softwares (skypes and others) Then u can use that $70 toward to Data plan... even better, u can do free international chat through Data plan, by using tango, skype, etc... plenty of free chat apps, include video...
 #1032310  by scharnhorst

sd80mac wrote:
scharnhorst wrote:
sd80mac wrote:

why need $70/mo for that when u can do it free on interent with chat softwares (skypes and others) Then u can use that $70 toward to Data plan... even better, u can do free international chat through Data plan, by using tango, skype, etc... plenty of free chat apps, include video...

Because the people I talk to in Eastern Europe can not get Internet on there cell phones such services do not exist! There is also no such thing as Wi-Fi or free internet.
 #1032333  by sd80mac

scharnhorst wrote:
sd80mac wrote:
scharnhorst wrote:
sd80mac wrote:

Because the people I talk to in Eastern Europe can not get Internet on there cell phones such services do not exist! There is also no such thing as Wi-Fi or free internet.

not true... I was at Sweden for a gathering in 2005. A lot of deaf people were there. these europeans used their phone with videocamera and they used it to chat with other deaf people. they are WAY ahead of us, in america. also they used satellite for the cellphones..

Europeans are way ahead of us with cellphone technologies...
 #1032373  by scharnhorst

sd80mac wrote:
scharnhorst wrote:
sd80mac wrote:
scharnhorst wrote:
sd80mac wrote:

not true... I was at Sweden for a gathering in 2005. A lot of deaf people were there. these europeans used their phone with videocamera and they used it to chat with other deaf people. they are WAY ahead of us, in america. also they used satellite for the cellphones..

Europeans are way ahead of us with cellphone technologies...

Ukraine and Russia are nothing like Western Europe! I've been living there on and off for year and my Wife was born in Kiev! Some cell phone providers can't call house numbers and some house numbers can't call cell phones. Internet is all dial up and it is vary rare to even have a home computer that has internet. So don't be telling me what I should be having on my phone or on my computer unless you want to pay the bill for me! Now lets move on back to the topic on Norfolk Southern and stop pissing me off!