Railroad Forums 

• Heading to Hudson

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#712406  by iceman977th

I'm going to visit my dad's sister's family this weekend. We're taking I-64 east from KY to Charleston, WV then heading up 77 heading for the Akron/Canton area. I know CSX and NS have lines along 64 and in Charleston, but I don't know what all heads up from there. Anyone know what lines follow I-77 north towards Akron/Canton and what lines are around the area, more towards the Hudson, OH area? I know theres a line not far from their house, but I don't know what it is. Thanks.
 #712788  by shlustig

In brief, nothing of any import follows I-77 in Central and Northern Ohio.

Going north from Canton, you will see the former B&O CT&V branch on the east side of I-77. This is now the extended route of the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic RR. Not sure if W&LE, OC, or CSX handle the local freight.

If you are going to Hudson, take SR-8 from the I-77 split in Akron to SR-303 east to Hudson. In Cuyahoga Falls, you will see the double-track cSX (x-B&O) east-west mainline on the east side of the highway.

Hudson is on the x-Conrail (nee PC, PRR) Cleveland - Pittsburgh mainline, now NS' east-west main. The former CA&C branch from Hudson to Akron is railbanked.

There are some good spots in Cuyahoga Falls and Akron to view the CSX mainline. Public parking is adjacent to the railroad.

Hudson Station still stands on the wrong side of the tracks, and the PD will ask you to leave the railroad property. Highland Rd. or Freeway Drive in Macedonia offer better spots.

Ravenna has a couple of good spots for both the CSX and the NS mainlines.

Hope this helps.
 #712940  by dansapo

I live 15 minutes away
In Solon(Glenwillow/aka Falls Jct) you have the Wheeling Lake Erie(orig WLE,NKP AND N&W) and Cleveland Commercial RR(they took over the line north of Falls Jct and recently the old EL Cleveland branch).Its about 20 minutes away.Just go north on 91 and make a left on Pettibone Rd
Twinsburg-The Chrysler stamping plant-about the same amount of time.That's the next town away Follow 91 north then make a left(west) on Rt 82 and a (south)left on Chamberlain Road)Its more of a yard but you'll never know whats parked in the yard.Now if you follow Chamberlain to Highland Rd and make a right.You'll end up by the NS(PRR) Mainline in Macedonia
Hudson- couple of places to see NS trains right in downtown or out side of town(Stow Rd)
If you have some time-go to Berea-about an 50-60 minutes away
 #718661  by iceman977th

Well, I didn't catch much, although I heard a ton of K5-series horns, a K3LA or two, and a RS3L or RS5T while I was there (they live like not even a mile from an NS branch, I'm guessing a branchline because it crosses a nearby highway and has a few switches into a plant of some sort. We did go to Fun-N-Stuff about half an hour away right next to the NS main, caught some roadrailers, autoracks, and tankers, but I was talking to the cute chicks working the skating rink most of the time. :D Haha

By the way, the line that goes straight over the road going into Hudson itself, then you make a left at the light and crosses again, is that NS or BNSF?
 #718879  by shlustig

The single-track line that diverges at Highland Rd. and goes up the hill is the Crown Secondary.

It was built by the Pennsylvania Railroad to serve the then-new Chrysler Twinsburg Stamping Plant. Unfortunately, that is one of the Chrysler plants scheduled to be closed. However, there are other consignees now located on top so the future of the branch is probably secure.
 #719673  by iceman977th

Go to Hudson on a map, follow 91 south and east on Barlow Road, the rail line crosses there, off the mainline.
 #719818  by dansapo

iceman977th wrote:Go to Hudson on a map, follow 91 south and east on Barlow Road, the rail line crosses there, off the mainline.
Little Tike Toys headquarters-That's just a spur off the NS mainline