Railroad Forums 

• Hayt's Corners

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#179628  by nydepot

What was the purpose of the Hayt's Corners track connecting the two LV lines ? I know the track was originally another RR heading to Willard but most maps make it look like the LV could get from the line to Auburn to the line to Geneva via this branch. Did the branch cross the Geneva line via a diamond or bridge? Most maps make it appear to be a shortcut or something. Thanks.

Charles

#181165  by chnaus

Charles, I can't find the my notes,but, I believe the Willard branch
went under the "new" main. A portion of this branch in this area was
used for a highway relocation.
There was a connecting track in the SW quadrant within the State
property that was also used for service from the main.
Ovidpete was on this list and was writing something on the line.
You might try contacting him.

#181236  by BR&P

It may have been a secondary line but in the old days of cheap labor it was well taken care of. I have an LV report of a fatal head-on between two speeders, and there a couple photos of Hayts Corners where it happened. The ballast was string-lined with not one piece over the line, ties were stacked in neat bundles, and the right-of-way was totally clear of brush & vegetation from one fence to the other.
 #182225  by lvrr 560

Willard Branch crossed over the main just South of Route 96A bridge.

The abutmentments are still visable.

#187212  by sodusbay

Hayts Cors to Willard is older than the Main Line and did not connect to it. Indeed it went over it just S of the current route 96A. The ROW crossed 96A just at the beginning of the flats W of Ovid (coming downhill).
 #187496  by TB Diamond

Both the Willard Branch and NYS 96A passed over the Lehigh Valley Seneca Freight Line at a location known as Gilbert Cut. The 96A bridge was removed a few years ago and replaced with a fill. As lvrr 560 mentioned, the Willard branch bridge abutments are still visible, but heavy foliage has obscured them.