Railroad Forums 

• Hay! Who's that car for???

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#53950  by rb

89' cars couldn't get through the Bronx until the Oak Point Link opened. That's why only now do you see giant, composite ARMN reefers going to Hunts Point...and giant boxcars of hay in Queens.

#54342  by BMT

[Way back when, I believe manure was shipped out (I'm not sure if hay was ever shipped in), ...]

That sounded like a real crappy job if ya asked me! :wink:

#54841  by jayrmli

I heard they sent the cars towards Belmont, only to wind up bringing them back to Pond.

Those horses are getting hungry!!!

Jay

#55127  by jayrmli

I am happy to report that the two cars of hay were successfully delivered under the cover of darkness.

Now let's see what a challenge it will be getting them out! :wink:

If only they get that Chesler Plywood car spotted, they'll be in good shape again.

Jay

#55331  by badneighbor

i have seen the belmont trackage. is that off the main line? is this near where the shut down rockaway branch ran?
 #56206  by Mr rt

"i have seen the belmont trackage. is that off the main line?"
Yes

" is this near where the shut down rockaway branch ran?"
No, further East.
Comes off the main just before the Cross Island Parkway.

#56293  by b&p rupture

And oddly enough, as you drive on the CIP and go under the spur you're going East or West, (Not N or S) as the spur itself is on a North/South alignment.

#56393  by Sir Ray

The cars are easily visible from Hempstead Turnpike/Hempstead Ave., where it crosses the Cross Island - the green car is southmost (maybe 100-150ft North of the turnpike to CIP entrance ramp). If you plan to photograph them, you might need a telephoto lens as I am not too sure how close you can get without tresspassing.

#56461  by Legio X

Good to see another customer for NYA. Maybe they can interest the NYRA with hay delivery service to the Richmond Hill team yard for Aqueduct Race Track. That would be good, both for NYA and Aqueduct. Go, baby go!!!

#58211  by krispy

One of the early pranks for new hires for the LI is to experience the "hay train" for the Burro Crane... How delightful that one actually runs, albeit to BRT. Looking forward to the return "fertilizer special" (or would that be the "doody dink", or "poop scoot") You know that bad boy would get the high green thru Jamaica!

#58341  by Legio X

The two 89' boxcars that carried the hay to Belmont have been removed. When will Belmont get another switch by NYA?

#58605  by Jayjay1213

They have another car in Fresh Pond with another due to arrive soon. So in typical NY&A fashion, in about a month or so they will get back into Belmont.

#58727  by Legio X

Are these brought to Fresh Pond by CSX or CP Rail, and where does the hay come from?

#59215  by emfinite

Here's a shot of the RS-30 from 8am this morning at Fresh Pond. The 155 just made the hitch to the 89' boxcar and then finished putting the train together.

#59323  by Legio X

I hope NYA explores the possibility of serving Aqueduct's hay needs via service to the Richmond Hill team yard. Every little bit of business helps.