Railroad Forums 

• Haverhill, NH (Woodsville) to Berlin, NH

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1067926  by b&m 1566

1. When was the last train from East Deerfield, MA to Berlin, NH?
2. When did Guilford sell the line to the state of NH?
3. When and why were the tracks removed from Woodsville to Littleton and from Waumbeck Junction in Jefferson, NH to Berlin, NH?
4. Does any of this line have scenic rail potential between the Littleton Station and Waumbeck Junction?
My apology if this was covered in an older thread.
 #1068269  by ferroequinarchaeologist

>3. When and why were the tracks removed from Woodsville to Littleton and from Waumbeck Junction in Jefferson, NH to Berlin, NH?

In 1995, the railroad bridge across the Connecticut River between Woodsville and Wells River was declared unsafe. This forced the operator, NHVT, to discontinue operations Littleton - Woodsville because its access to White River Junction (NHVT had trackage rights Wells River to WRJ and a Central Vermont connection) was cut off and there were no customers on-line. Guilford, the bridge owner, decided to not replace it, and NHVT received permission to abandon from Woodsville to Wells River (and Waumbek Jct to Berlin) in 1996. Tracks were removed in 1997, including the segment that ran through my wife's uncle's farm in Lisbon - but I digress.

>2. When did Guilford sell the line to the state of NH?

The line was sold to the state shortly thereafter and the state removed the bridge segments over Route 16 in Gorham to allow double-stacks on the StL&A that runs beneath.

Info is partly from Lindsell, partly from the Lisbon Historical Society, partly from my wife's aunt, partly from the Upper Pemigewasset Historical Society, and from my own research.

PBM