• Haverhill Line Upgrades (Western Route)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

• 1506 posts
  by artman

Trinnau wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:12 pm I think the article has some inaccuracies or assumptions that need to be cleared up. Basically there's a bunch of money in the MBTA capital plan for Ballardvale and some station upgrades. Hi-level platforms for the entire line will cost more than the $25 million allocated.
They have $60 million in the article for the double-tracking. I can't believe it is $10 million per mile to do that. So I wonder if either the $60 mil includes the $25 mil for platforms, or the $60 mil has money in for station work (overhead walkways?) on top of the separate $25 mil
  by roberttosh

Interesting timing, I wonder if this has anything to do with the likely CSX takeover of Pan Am?
  by roberttosh

artman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:25 pm
Trinnau wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:12 pm I think the article has some inaccuracies or assumptions that need to be cleared up. Basically there's a bunch of money in the MBTA capital plan for Ballardvale and some station upgrades. Hi-level platforms for the entire line will cost more than the $25 million allocated.
They have $60 million in the article for the double-tracking. I can't believe it is $10 million per mile to do that. So I wonder if either the $60 mil includes the $25 mil for platforms, or the $60 mil has money in for station work (overhead walkways?) on top of the separate $25 mil
Isn't the remaining gap literally just from one side of the station to just across the street from the other side?
  by Trinnau

Correct on Ballardvale, they need to do the crossing too but you can see the track on either side of the station.

So I took a closer look at the article. The $60 million is likely a combination of work at Ballardvale, Reading and North Wilmington stations along with double-track from Reading to Wilmington Junction and the associated signal and PTC modifications that entails. This will close the single track gaps and provide for station work at those locations. The other $25 million is part of the MBTA's accessibility program, and will provide "level boarding areas". This actually reads to me as mini-highs and not full high-level platforms.
  by roberttosh

Any start or finish dates associated with this work being given?
  by njtmnrrbuff

The single track stretch of the Haverhill Line which begins just west of Reading Station needs to be double track. Not only that, if there is a way that the Haverhill Line could be double tracked from Boston to Melrose, that would be nice too. It's probably not easy adding a second track on the Haverhill Line between Boston and Melrose.