Railroad Forums 

• Harrisburg questions

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1074962  by northjerseybuff

I was in Harrisburg over the weekend for the NKP 765 trips and saw they Y'd the train on the reading line. What trains operate over the reading line? stupid question..but where does this line go? Reading?
Also, does amtrak cross the susquehanna river on the adjacent bridge to the former reading line bridge?
What trains operate on the lurgan line? and where does this line go?
 #1075050  by chuchubob

Reading is east of Harrisburg. The bridge is called the Reading bridge because it was owned by the Reading Company and used by Reading RR trains.
The Lurgan Branch goes from Harrisburg to Hagerstown.
 #1075996  by conrailsharedassets

Hi NJBuff,

The NS Lurgan Line runs from Harrsiburg, PA to Hagerstown, Maryland. Just off the top of my head, you have the following trains:

202/203
211/212
213/214
227/228
290 (as needed Autos)
15/16T
37/38Q
11/12R

Along with numerous Coal, Grain and other extra trains a week. CSXT also operates a pair of Trackage/Haulage Rights PPLX Coal trains running with CSXT power and utilizing the symbol 682/683 while on the Lurgan usually 2-3 times per week.

I may have missed a train or two, but I can tell you on average there is a good 15-20 trains a day on the Lurgan. With the Mornings (mostly Southbounds) and Evenings (mostly Northbounds) being the best time to be along the line. With NS opening a new Intermodal terminal along the Lurgan Line within the next year, it is slated to see further increases in traffic.

Jim Cerulli
cprsunburysub yahoo group Owner
 #1120284  by CNJ Fan 4evr

Thanks for the Luragn information. I plan on mmaking my railroad filming comeback in 2013. I have been away from it for several years and want to get stuff on the old Reading and PRR lines and others. I have been to Quarter Aces dragstrip in Boiling Springs and the Lurgan goes right by there. Unfortunately the corn in the neighboring fields was too high to shoot video of the trains going by. Even saw a UP unit on one.