Railroad Forums 

• Harmon AFB Narrow Gauge RR

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#164166  by NS VIA FAN

The US Air Force built a 7 mile narrow gauge railway to connect Harmon AFB in Stephenville, Newfoundland with the Newfoundland Railway (later CNR) narrow gauge system at White’s Road. Did the US Air Force have their own narrow gauge locomotives to serve the base? (Any links to pictures would be appreciated) Or did they just use CN’s.

Checking through some old CN Employee timetables there is no indication of CN’s ownership of the railway until after the base closed. Then it became CN’s Stephenville Subdivision.

I checked out what remains of the old railway last weekend and there’s still lots of evidence. It’s now a hiking/biking trail.

Here’s a link to some photos:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse. ... id=1447750

Photo #1: White’s Road near where the USAF RR connected with the CNR.

Photos #2, #3, #4, #5 & #6: The railway ran into the base through some backyards, across the base access road then along a causeway to the hangers in the distance.

Photo #7 & #8. The abandoned CN narrow gauge bridge at Stephenville Crossing.

#224420  by cprconductor

The US had their own units as well as some freight cars as well as a few passenger diesel cars.
The units were still in use at a Creosote plant.

I have a lots of shots from the area taken by a ellow that was there in the US Army Communications section, and they had there own little rail cars as well.

Andrew

#225623  by Legio X

I like the Convair F-102 Delta Dagger on display as a "gate guard."

#225624  by cprconductor

My mother in law lives in Stephenville Crossing, went to visit F-102 a few times.

Andrew