Railroad Forums 

• Hanna Furnace Corp-Buffalo

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1598733  by SST

There are pictures along the water front at the entrance to the former Hanna Furnace. The first is a picture of a picture with the locomotive on the inside rails out of 4. The outside two are for the gantry crane/loader.

I took this picture. This is the only place where there are 4 rails still in the ground. The furthest one is blocked by the fence.
 #1598743  by BR&P

Bittersweet but very cool, thanks for posting that! Just sickening what has been lost over the years. True, technology changes and we would not have steam working today under any circumstances. But the complete eradication of almost every trace of the production and prosperity we knew is sickening. Harrumph - grumpy old coot's rant is over. :wink:
 #1598744  by BR&P

What is the vessel in the background of that 1956 shot? Looks like a self-propelled coal barge? Can't quite get that name, something GEORGE maybe? Almost as fascinating as the locomotive.
 #1598814  by SST

After reviewing the picture on my PC, I agree....West Shore.

There is another picture somewhere down there showing the locomotive in between the legs of the gantry. Next time I'm down there I'll look for it.
 #1601870  by SST

Here are a couple more photos from down there. Still can’t find the specific one I’m looking for.

First pic is from 1910. Clearly not a health hazard. :-) Swim anybody?

Good view of trackage and crane.
 #1601884  by BR&P

SST wrote:Here are a couple more photos from down there. Still can’t find the specific one I’m looking for.

First pic is from 1910.
No way, not even close. Zoom in on the autos parked near the building I'm guessing early 1950's.
 #1601942  by SST

That’s funny. I wouldn’t have taken notice of those cars. But that is a big mistake. Nice catch.
 #1601964  by BR&P

At the lower right there is a white square which could be a truck trailer, and just beyond it are 3 cars parked at right angles to the tracks. Clicking on the pic, then hitting the "+" magnifier gets you a close look but you lose sharpness. The middle car MIGHT be a Nash Metropolitan, which was first made in 1953. The farthest of the three MIGHT be about a '55 Olds. Those are just guesses, feel free to disagree. But I'd say my "early 50's" estimate is way closer than 1910.

FWIW, I recently saw an aerial shot of a NYC roundhouse with the opposite scenario. It was labeled about 1960, but the cars visible were all from what looks to me like 1920's or so. Little clues that make the investigating fun!