Railroad Forums 

• GWR Locos

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1422218  by johnthefireman

First generation British DMUs often had a glass panel behind the driver, so if you were in the first car you could look ahead, and also watch the driver in action. Unfortunately times have changed, although you can still get the same experience in some driverless trains such as the Docklands Light Railway, and quite a few airport shuttles.
 #1422224  by johnthefireman

Fortunately a few have survived on heritage lines, so you can still have that branchline experience!
 #1422226  by philipmartin

New York City subway trains were like that. The motorman was in a little box on the right hand side of the car, and the center and left hand side were used by passengers, and were glazed. I took many front end rides, looking at the railroad ahead.
One time when i was fourteen i was riding the head end on an "el" train, and there was a wheel there in front of me. So I spun it. At the next stop the motorman came out of his cab and told me not to do that, I was putting the brake on the lead car, the leads truck I suppose.
 #1422297  by ExCon90

johnthefireman wrote:First generation British DMUs often had a glass panel behind the driver, so if you were in the first car you could look ahead, and also watch the driver in action. Unfortunately times have changed, although you can still get the same experience in some driverless trains such as the Docklands Light Railway, and quite a few airport shuttles.
I rode those numerous times over quite a period of years, and only once in all that time did a driver pull down the shade. I got excellent views of signals, and how the AWS worked, as well as seeing the tablets being exchanged.
 #1424804  by johnthefireman

Well, yes, but it's an auto-train. It's being driven from the cabs at the end of the coaches. The fireman is on the loco to feed the fire and operate certain controls, including the injectors, blower, and I think the reverser. The driver has control of the regulator, brakes and possibly the whistle via connecting rods.
 #1424812  by David Benton

Possibly Steam was piped up to the front cab , and the whistle located there ??? Or air operated . I seem to remember seeing a picture where the whistle appeared to be on the cab car ???
 #1424814  by johnthefireman

Steam to the front cab is possible, as coaches in those days were steam-heated so there was a steam connection, although I think it would usually be closed from the footplate unless needed due to cold weather, to avoid wasting steam via the inevitable leaks. Maybe it was kept open on an auto-train. I've never operated an auto-train and I'm not familiar with the details.
 #1424815  by philipmartin

Actually, since all of our trains, except the emu's, are push - pull, you occasionally see equipment moves between outlying terminals and our central maintenance facility, with the engine in the middle of the train. It always amuses me. But you never see it on live,(passengerger carrying) trains.