Railroad Forums 

• GVT Rolling Stock Question

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#1124044  by brockwaythemusician

A few years back I asked a question about some Lowville and Beaver River Boxcars in Utica. I remember the topic well and don't need to rehash what was in that one. At the time I went on rrpicturearchives and downloaded EVERY picture of LBR rolling stock. Yesterday I happened upon a new one, there are now open coal hoppers marked for LBR, whcih means GVT is still labeling cars for LBR even though it is not operational.

I also came upon a picture of a Delaware Lackawana boxcar with LBR reporting marks. Why not give it DL marks? As I kept looking things got more interesting: A series of gondolas with original Mohawk Adirondack Northern paint patched for the Depew Lancaster and Western. If it's the same parent company, why patch it? And this, http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2058700 a DLWR boxcar in NEW paint lettered for MHWA!

I kept doing research and found that 80% or so of the GVT rolling stock is marked for LBR, a bit for the DL, and very little for the others. Is there any reason for this? Does it make a difference in a particular subsidary being in the red vs the black? I realize that being the same parent company it probably matters very little but for a railfan and modeling perspetive it is very interesting.
 #1124069  by charlie6017

That's pretty interesting. I really don't know why GVT is giving so much of their rolling
stock the LBR markings, but I would put money on it (pun intended! :-P) being a financial
reason. Maybe a taxation issue? So hard to say, but maybe someone else can weigh in and
add some insight.

Happy Holidays!

Charlie
 #1163377  by Plate C

I too am curious about this. Lately I have seen boxcars freshly painted and stamped LBR, was unable to tell what these cars were originally stamped.
 #1200188  by GP40MC 1116

I know this is not a direct question related to GVT rolling stock. But, I thought the Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society had 3 ex NJT Comet Cars. I found out when I re-read the Comet 1 information and now it appears that they only own two.

Anyone know what happened to the RPCX 1802 http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=3211802" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;