Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1364173  by Tadman

I came across this cool pic today. It appears to be the 5 train at Gun Hill Road station. This is interesting given that it's on former NYW&B and it's pretty far north, certainly a bucolic setting which is not customary for the NY Subway.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 05&nseq=53" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's not many pictures at this station on that database. Any suggestions where I might find more?

THanks.
 #1364508  by Tadman

Thanks, guys. Those are very interesting.
 #1365358  by Jeff Smith

Tad, don't forget about Otto's website: http://www.nywbry.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; although that will mostly show older stuff. Google Forgotten NY NYW&B as well.

I used to ride the line from Pelham Parkway. Awesome stuff.

The bucolic setting is partly due to the fact that this was built as a full railroad, not heavy rail/subway. So it had better clearances and higher station standards. Lines like the 2/White Plains Road were built in the middle of streets; everything around it was eventually developed. Thankfully, the city preserved this ROW.
 #1366640  by Trainmaster5

I spent most of my NYCT career on the Dyre Avenue 5 line going back to the early '80s. I have looked at the ROW from the old section south of East 180th St to the layup tracks north of Dyre Avenue. I've talked to older relatives who used the old railroad to go to New Rochelle back in the '30s as well as employees and residents who remember the subway shuttle before it was connected to the IRT. One can only imagine what the stations looked like under railroad ownership. As pointed out subway.org and Forgotten NY are excellent sources for viewing older pictures of the line. There are also pictures of the stations south of 180th St that were abandoned when the railroad ceased operations as well as the section north of Dyre Avenue on some other sites.