Railroad Forums 

• Guilford track work, Peabody, MA

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#9142  by highrail

In the midst of all the heavy rain today I was checking out the tracks in South Peabody. I was shocked, and thrilled, to find a Guilford crew doing tie and rail replacement work in South Peabody, along the line that goes to the Centennial Industrial park. It has been years since any rehab work has been done on that line. Having grown up in that neighborhood I don't think that they have touched the line in over thirty years. They had quite an extensive pile of new ties and rail. I was wondering if this is a sign of other possible maint work this season around the Guilford system. Anyone else noticed anything?

Steve

#263473  by Ed Canney

Decided to check out the line between Salem and Peabody a few days ago and the rail doesn't look like it has seen a train in a long time. The Kodak plant in Peabody had no cars, but the plant is still operating. The Bicknell and Fuller warehouse in Peabody which was good for several cars a week is empty and up for lease. So is this line up for eventual abondonment?

#263620  by highrail

I was by that area a couple days ago and it looked like a train had rolled through Peabody Square that day. Rail traffic had been halted after the May flood for quite a while. My hunch is that the loads are down at Eastman Gelatine in general (digital impact), and I do not think that the embargo has been lifted on the hydrochloric acid transport. You may recall the minor leak about 1+ years ago that stopped that transport. I have not seen a tank car since that time.

I had not seen a box car heading up that line in some time, your note on the Bicknell Fuller plant explains that. With those two being the only customers on the line, and no effort to recruit new business, even though the Industrial Park has great rail access, the line may be on the way out.

Sad, too bad Guilford makes no effort to keep customers...What else is new? As a kid in the 60's that was quite a line. Customers included a storage/transfer wharehouse downtown, a feed company near the Metro Bowl, several leather companies, Eastman Gelatine, JJ Newbury Wahrehouse near Summit Street, a chemical company at Corwin Street, and another factory near the chemical company whose name escapes me. Ironically, the line ended near Corwin Street, but when the Industrial Park went in they extended the line as far as Bicknell Fuller. Service was also provided to SS Pierce and Stern Can at the industrial park. It was not uncommon to see the Salem switcher wortking the line every day. There was a second daily freight that ran through Peabody as it headed to Danvers to service that area.

#263721  by doublebell

BO-1 took two empty bones out of Eastman yesterday.
John (the guy in the white car with the wing on back)

#264235  by highrail

On Friday, June 30, spotted Guilford MEC labeled unit #352 coming through Peabody toward Salem with 4 empties from Eastman Gelatine
 #264461  by GP40MC 1116

highrail wrote:In the midst of all the heavy rain today I was checking out the tracks in South Peabody. I was shocked, and thrilled, to find a Guilford crew doing tie and rail replacement work in South Peabody, along the line that goes to the Centennial Industrial park. It has been years since any rehab work has been done on that line. Having grown up in that neighborhood I don't think that they have touched the line in over thirty years. They had quite an extensive pile of new ties and rail. I was wondering if this is a sign of other possible maint work this season around the Guilford system. Anyone else noticed anything?

Steve

Lets hope they move to the Watertown IT after !
 #264534  by Sir Ray

GP40MC 1116 wrote:
highrail wrote:In the midst of all the heavy rain today I was checking out the tracks in South Peabody. I was shocked, and thrilled, to find a Guilford crew doing tie and rail replacement work in South Peabody, along the line that goes to the Centennial Industrial park.
Well, check the original post's posted date: Posted: Fri: 02 Apr 2004 10:59 pm and you'll be dismayed to find they have had over 2 years to get around to Watertown since... :(
 #266174  by GP40MC 1116

Sir Ray wrote:
GP40MC 1116 wrote:
highrail wrote:In the midst of all the heavy rain today I was checking out the tracks in South Peabody. I was shocked, and thrilled, to find a Guilford crew doing tie and rail replacement work in South Peabody, along the line that goes to the Centennial Industrial park.
Well, check the original post's posted date: Posted: Fri: 02 Apr 2004 10:59 pm and you'll be dismayed to find they have had over 2 years to get around to Watertown since... :(
And do you think they have done anything? Look it's 2006, and NOPE nothing done :wink: