Railroad Forums 

• GRS/Pan Am Railways New Hampshire Opperations

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#236101  by spinfire

I am also interested in the Rockingham Jct/Newmarket area (the downeaster route). Lets collect this info!

#236140  by Dick H

Run the URL below. It gives all the details on Guilford operations. At the bottom of the Guilford page, go back to the introduction page for a list of all New England Railroads.

http://home.comcast.net/~petlick/grs.htm

Dick

#237028  by spinfire

Unfortunately that page seems to be somewhat out of date especially with regards to timetables. I know Guilford can be somewhat, ah, flexible with scheduling..

I have been hearing a very loud train with a "different" sounding horn passing through Newmarket around 5:30-6:00AM the past few nights. Originally I thought it was northbound BODO, but this morning I caught a glimpse through the trees and it was definitely southbound.

#238908  by cpf354

Freights don't have schedules. Anyone who claims to know of or publish a schedule for a freight train is being mis-leading.
The site in question does state that the "on duty" times are subject to change. A crew's on duty time also has no direct bearing on the actual time that the train they're assigned to will leave, or even where it will leave.
The only trains on Springfield Terminal that have schedules are the passenger trains operated by Mass Bay Commuter Railroad for the MBTA, and the Downeaster.

#240461  by Jonny Bolt

Ya, the only freight train around here that is on atleast somewhat of a schedule is tha DOBO gravel train. My bro lives in Exeter, in a neighborhood off Front St. right near the tracks, and the gravel train can be heard almost every night I am there around 9 or so, give or take. I heard last night, right on time. I wouldnt set my clock to it, but its fairly consistant on its runs.

#240727  by Finch

Ya, the only freight train around here that is on atleast somewhat of a schedule is tha DOBO gravel train. My bro lives in Exeter, in a neighborhood off Front St. right near the tracks, and the gravel train can be heard almost every night I am there around 9 or so, give or take. I heard last night, right on time. I wouldnt set my clock to it, but its fairly consistant on its runs.
Here at UNH I've been writing down all the times I see/hear freight trains go by. Most of it is pretty random of course, but lately I've heard a train go by many nights at around 8:30. I can't see it from my dorm room so I don't know which direction it's going, but it may be the southbound train that you're seeing in Exeter around 9:00.

#241074  by spinfire

In Newmarket I frequently hear a freight train, I believe southbound, around 00:20. I believe it is heading for Rockingham Jct. before the Downeaster comes through. The Downeaster comes through here northbound at 00:40ish.

Any ideas what train this might be? RURJ?

#241250  by Jonny Bolt

Not sure. But I did catch a freight train rolling Southbound in Exeter one Tuesday morning around 9. About a month ago now. Managed some pics...but I didnt get any of the engine(s), just the end boxcars.

#241837  by GP40MC 1116

all railroads.. Minus big ones i would say like CSX and MBCR/Amtrak arround here are the only ones.. also becides GRS with set "schedules" For example the last few weeks I have been doing some railfanning donw at the New England Southern Railroad yard in Concord on Tuesdays.. Ive been lucky to see them move arround quite a bit though.. But they even say "schedule.. What schedule"!..lol

#241839  by spinfire

Yeah, I hear ya. Does anybody have any tricks for knowing when a train is coming (besides the downeaster.. which seems to keep to its schedule pretty decently) ? By the time I hear a horn it is too late to go out and photograph or watch. How do people get the sort of photos I see at nerail.. just luck, or lots of waiting?

#241859  by Jonny Bolt

You could always hang out at Rockingham Junction lol.

Its fishing season, and I fish alot up in that area, so I hope to get some decent pics of freight as well. I'd LOVE to be out on the Exeter River in the boat and see Guilford coming and rolling over the trestles out there. That would rule!

#244173  by Finch

Saw a freight train yesterday afternoon, northbound through Durham. I forgot to count how many cars it was, but it was long. It was moving at a fast jogging/slowish running pace and took 6 or 8 minutes to go by. Mostly box cars with a few tank cars and random things. One car had what looked like lumber on it. A few of the box cars looked freshly painted in Pan Am colors. The tops were already getting rusty though...that was fast!
Last edited by Finch on Wed May 10, 2006 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#244356  by Jonny Bolt

I was in Exeter last Thursday night at my bro's, who lives near the tracks, off Front St. I heard the Downeaster go by. I then heard another train after that cleared, which I assumed to be the DOBO gravel train. I then left to meet a few friends for some fishing in Newmarket, and at sometime after 10pm we heard another train going by through town, but I could not tell which direction it was going. Thought it was strange as I thought DOBO was the last train to roll through at night.

#244358  by spinfire

No.. GRS seems to have a lot of really late night operations in this area (I hear it because I am a night owl with insomnia myself :) I frequently hear trains approximately around 3:00 AM and often several in the 4:30 to 5:30 range. Some of these seem to be exceptionally loud.. my guess is these are the gravel trains with the (ancient) NHN power. I think there is a big push to get some main line operation done before the Downeaster trains interfere with their rigid schedule and high speed.