Railroad Forums 

• GRS/Pan Am Railways New Hampshire Opperations

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#246735  by consist

Finch wrote: A few of the box cars looked freshly painted in Pan Am colors. The tops were already getting rusty though...that was fast!
That's because they never bothered to paint the roofs of the Pine Tree Route and other boxcars that were redone with the Pan Am scheme.

#246793  by MEC407

Boxcar tops usually are not painted.

#249681  by Jonny Bolt

Not sure whats up, but a week or 2 ago I was leavin' my bro's in Exeter after midnight, and i heard some horns.......got in the car quick so I could get around the corner and see what it was. Turned out be a North-bound Downeaster. It was 12:30/1am. I never knew they ran that late?

#249682  by GP40MC 1116

Jonny Bolt wrote:Not sure whats up, but a week or 2 ago I was leavin' my bro's in Exeter after midnight, and i heard some horns.......got in the car quick so I could get around the corner and see what it was. Turned out be a North-bound Downeaster. It was 12:30/1am. I never knew they ran that late?
haha yea, 687 arrives Portland at 1:50AM

#270225  by Finch

MEC407 wrote:Boxcar tops usually are not painted.
Heh, interesting. I guess it wouldn't have mattered except I was up on this little hill so I could see the tops of the cars.

I've also heard the really late night trains that spinfire has. One train I remember seeing towards the end of the school year was a southbound GRS train that actually stopped right on campus. Dunno how long it stayed, but it was interesting anyways. This was at about 11 or 12 at night. I'm not on campus at the moment though (summer, yay!). I'm kind of hoping to catch some GRS action down here in the northern suburbs of Boston, but its not so easy since I don't live so close to the tracks like at UNH.

#271335  by l008com

On the reading line, very little chance. But if you head up Woburn st into woburn, head over to the lowell line, you can see a few freights, a downeaster or two, and a bunch of MBTA trains. But there are lots of other threads about activity on that line. But you won't see much of anything but MBTA going through reading.