Railroad Forums 

• GRS Maine Help

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#13714  by MBTA Railfan

Hello all

I will be in Maine for a few days in May. Looking for any hints on GRS activity scheds etc> WIll be in the area of Arcadia National Park and Portand.

Thanks in Advance!

Bob

#13835  by wolfmom69

MBTA fan: besides "yard action" at Rigby Yard,your best bet for ALMOST "guaranteed Guilford action",is to be in the Lewiston Auburn area between say,8 AM to 3 PM The "Rumford Branch" trains are pretty "on time"(for Guilford!!)and PORI/RIPO will meet either at Hackett Rd. in Auburn(Rumford Jct.-but it aint gone to Rumford in over 50 years!!),"the Fairgrounds in Lewiston on Rt. 202 on the way to Greene,or at Leeds Jct.about 7 miles further up Rt.202. PORI is usually setting off cars at Danville Jct. around 8-9am,and you might catch the St.Lawrence & Atlantic working there also. If you are lucky,sometimes the freight to the Bangor area ,PONM,will be late out of Rigby and you can catch that one in this area.RIPO will usually spend an hour or more switching the far end of Danville,which cant be seen from "good roads",then head towards Rigby around 1:30 or so,and the westbound FROM the "Bangor Area",NMPO ,is usually following RIPO by 1 hour or less through Danville. Bring a scanner,and a DeLomes,or other good map,and have fun!! Bud

#13914  by jwhite07

Closest rail activity to the Acadia National Park area would in Bangor or Bucksport. Both are 40-some miles from Mount Desert Island. No idea what the current schedules are around there, but GTI District 1 is pretty thin train-wise anyway - just a few trains a day at most. If you are thinking about just showing up somewhere and seeing something moving, I'd try for Northern Maine Junction, a few miles outside of Bangor where Guilford and the Montreal, Maine and Atlantic Railway meet.

Closer to Acadia, you'll notice a rail line running through Ellsworth. This is the Calais Branch, abandoned nearly 20 years ago but still intact.

#14051  by MBTA Railfan

Thank You

Well my name says Boston but I am coming up from Florida (I used to live in the Boston area)

I will take all into consideration

Again THANK YOU!

I will check out that link too

Bob

#14140  by bar358

The Bucksport job, BA-2 runs at night and the old MABA/BAMA trains. Their is a switcher OD at Bucksport at 0700 and in the early evenings (BK-1/3) OT-1 often picks up MABA around Old Town and brings that down to NMJ in the morning, if not then will run up to Old Town switch and return to NMJ. The MMA's Searsport local has been running to Searsport around noon. They go OD at 0900 most days, but some days have to pick up their train in South Lagrange before switching NMJ and running to Searsport.

Matt

www.rrnne.net